GOCDB Regionalisation Plans
|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|GOC DB menu:||Home •||Documentation Index •|
Our future plans for regionalisation are described here. To see our cur current regionalisation status please visit GOCDB4 Regionalisation Status. In order to achieve a #3) Regional-Synchronised GOCDB stages 1) and 2) are both required first.
1) Data Grouping/Scoping
(Separate EGI and Non-EGI Data)
- Confirmed Development
A GOCDB instance (whether central or regional) needs to differentiate between EGI and non-EGI data. A new group named EGI will be created along with tools to insert / remove data to and from a specified group. With this functionality in place NGIs will be able to store and retrieve both local and EGI level sites in the central GOCDB. (This plan is from "Design A" in https://rt.egi.eu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=943#txn-52051).
- This will require GUI enhancements, allowing sites to opt-in or opt-out of the EGI group, and new request parameters for restricting the PI queries based on group memberships (e.g. “method=get_site_list_by_group&group=EGI” or “&group=local” or “&group=any”).
- This development is a pre-requisite in order to publish the appropriate data for: #3) Regional-Synchronised GOCDB.
- Users can centrally include/exclude sites/SEs from the from the whole EGI infrastructure as required (provides extensible data visibility/scoping according to groupings).
- Single point to input/query data for EGI and local/regional data.
- Regional GOCDB installation not required (e.g. for NGIs without effort to install/maintain a regional gocdb).
2) Regional-Standalone GOCDB
- Confirmed Development
We will continue to release a standalone instance of the GOCDB for regional NGI use. This regional instance will be supported regardless of other developments. We will ensure that future developments don't conflict with requirements from NGIs by capturing the NGIs requirements.
- NGIs can fully customise their own GOCDB as required (e.g. extend DDL/GUI/logic/SQL/whatever)
- Support available centrally
3) Regional-Synchronised GOCDB
- Long Term Development
A regional-standalone GOCDB instance will synchronise is EGI scoped regional data with the central instance.
This would allow NGIs to deploy their own GOCDB, customise it and publish EGI data (constrained by XML schema) to the central portal. Publishing of this data would have to be transactional, most probably via a schema constrained WS/REST interface (preferable over asynch messaging which would require response queues + ACKs). The central portal would be the definitive source for all EGI information.
- It may be necessary to have two-way synchronisation, where the central instance would also update regional instances: https://rt.egi.eu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=1094.
- NGI extensions and custom data would not be synchronised with the central GOCDB, therefore;
- #1) Data Grouping/Scoping is necessary in order to publish the appropriate data.
- NGIs can extend their own GOCDB as required (e.g. extend DDL/GUI/logic/SQL)
- (note, these customizations should extend gocdb, leaving the core tables/queries/schema in tact in order to synchronize the core EGI data, e.g. custom data should be defined in a different table space).
- Single access point to input both EGI and non-EGI data, and query data.
- Central operators would need to override data published by regional GOCDBs (for https://rt.egi.eu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=1094)