|Main||Roadmap and Innovation||Technology||For Users||For Resource Providers||Media|
[Closed] Scenario 6: VM/Resource state change notification
Leader: Peter Solagna, EGI
The scenario enables:
- Resource providers to notify interested parties about changes in the user's VM state of a proposed state change in the VMM.
- End user to build automated VM management and reactive workflows in user space.
Such notification system must enable automatic notification consumers and so there is the need to identify the standards to be used:
- Standard for the payload in the notification messages
- Standard for the messages transport
If such standards are available in the federated cloud infrastructure, the users will be able to implement monitoring/management tools for their workflows.
Steps for the scenario fulfillment
Information gathering steps
The steps I identify to have a comprehensive description of the current situation:
- List the notification systems adopted by the technologies currently deployed in the FedClouds testbeds.
- Collect requirements and use cases from the users communities.
- List the currently available standards available, and map them - if possible - to the technologies implemented in the testbed.
- Map the users requirements to the existing implementations and standards. Assess if there are missing features in the current implementations and standards.
- Identify if there are standards eligible to be suggested as common standards.
When the points above are done, I suggest the following, operative, tasks:
- Technology providers should provide the status change notifications through standard formats and transport protocols.
- User communities should test these notification mechanisms in their workflows, or implementing a client prototype.
Comments to the steps list, or about any other aspect of the scenario are more than welcome
|Scenario leader||EGI.eu||Peter Solagna|
Step 1: List the notification systems currently adopted
|VM Manager||What is automatically notified||Any standard in the message format used||Message transport protocol|
|Open Nebula||states of VM||NO||Users have to query explicitly the result are in XML|
|OpenStack||Not clear yet, still at blueprint stage||Atom 1.0||PubSubHubbub (PSH)|
|WNoDeS||States of VM: RUNNING, PENDING, ABORTED, DESTROYED||No||Users have to query explicitly the result are in XML|
Step 2: List of the standard available for notification message
|Standard name||Message Format/Transport||Comments and information|
|Atom 1.0||Message Format||Implemented by OpenStak|
|PubSubHubbub||Transport||Implemented by OpenStak|
Input for blueprint
Description of the scenario6: Notification system
Use cases for this scenario
Test ActiveMQ based technologies
- Technology providers deploying Stratuslab 1.2 or higher. Who is deploying it currently?
- Configure a messaging broker to be used by the cloud service (EGI test brokers network is an option)
- Implement a client to consume the messages (it needs to implement the ActiveMQ libraries)
- Submit a virtual machine request and use the client to listen to the messages