EGI Core activities:2015-bidding Accounting
|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|EGI Core services menu:||Services PHASE I •||Services PHASE II •||Services PHASE III •||Bids •||Payments •||Travel procedure •||Performance|
Go back to the EGI Core Activities Bidding page.
- Service name: Accounting repositories and portal
The Accounting Infrastructure provides storage and access to usage information across the EGI Federation. At a central level it includes the repositories for the persistent storage of usage records and a visualization portal for users and resource providers. The central databases are populated through individual usage records published by the Resource Centres, or through the publication of summarised usage records.
The Accounting repositories store compute (serial and parallel jobs), storage, and cloud resources accounting data collected from Resource Centres of the EGI Federation. Accounting information is gathered from distributed sensors into a central accounting repository where it is processed to generate summaries that are available through the EGI Accounting Portal. The Accounting Repository, based on the APEL software, has a MySQL database backend, and needs to ensure the exchange of accounting information with peer e-Infrastructures.
The Accounting Portal receives and stores the site, user, and VO level summaries generated by the Accounting Repository and provides views via a web portal, for example, by aggregating sites in a country on custom time intervals. The databases are organized into a CPU record database, a User record database, and a topology database.
This activity is responsible for:
- The coordination of the APEL database operations and upgrade activities with those partners that are in charge of operating systems that depend on the central APEL accounting databases and portal, or on which the accounting infrastructures depends.
- The Coordination with the EGI Operations to support accounting clients upgrade campaigns and other operational activities aiming at improving the accuracy and completeness of the accounting information gathered.
- Requirements gathering from service providers and end-users.
- Daily running of the system including the repositories and the portal
- Provisioning of a high availability configuration
- A test infrastructure to verify interoperability and the impact of software upgrades on depending systems
- Deployment of new releases in production
This activity includes:
- Bug fixing, proactive maintenance, improvement of the system
- Coordination of software maintenance activities with other technology providers that provide software for the EGI Core Infrastructure or remote systems deployed by integrated and peer infrastructures that interoperate with the central EGI components of the system.
- Maintenance of probes to test the functionality of the service
- Requirements gathering
Support through the EGI helpdesk is provided
- to the operators of those infrastructures that publish or need to publish usage records into the EGI central accounting databases (Resource Centres, Operations CentresNGIs and other integrated and peer infrastructures)
- to the operators of other depending systems
- to users of the portal about the data displayed and the views provided.
Support hours: eight hours a day , Monday to Friday – excluding public holidays of the hosting organization.
Service level targets
- Minimum availability/reliability: 99%/99% for both the Accounting repositories and the accounting portal
- Any loss of accounting data should be recovered 100%
- Response to incident records in GGUS within support hours: Medium (see https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/FAQ_GGUS-PT-QoS-Levels#Medium_service)
Bids planning a total effort between 12 and 18 Person Months/year would allow these services and activities to be addressed appropriately.