EGI Pay-for-Use PoC:Business Cases/Workplan
|Pay-For-Use menu:||Home •||Processes/Instructions •||Service/Price Overview •||Service Management •||Legal/Policy •||Actions •||Meetings •|
List of selected business cases and overall workplan of agreed activities.
(To be developed)
- Consumer (User): The person actually using the service (user).
- Customer: The person or entity that negotiates the level of services and commissions the service provider or broker and may pay, doing so on behalf of a number of consumers (users).
- Resource Provider: An organisation offering access to ICT resources through service abstractions (e.g., computing power, storage).
- Broker: An organisation facilitating or arranging transactions and agreements between a customer and one or more resource providers.
- Technology Provider: A person or entity providing the required technology to support service delivery.
The below list of potential questions that each role may ask or scenarios will shape User Stories for defining specific developments required. All information is being collected and articulated using a Google Doc. Once specific User Stories are defined. The below table will be updated and will feed the required technical developments.
See wikipedia page for more information regarding User Stories.
Define, at least, the "first level" or "base" service we are going to provide for each class of services.
- Architecture and OS (if not cloud)
- Type of access to the resources
- Costs (average or a range between providers?)
- Guaranteed (maximum?) amount of storage space (people have to store their outcomes)
- Type of support (only related to the resources or it also include support for software? (libraries, compilers, optimizations))
- Availability (how many (different?)_resources or (different?)_services can I use? Are they subject to availability? See https://documents.egi.eu/secure/RetrieveFile?docid=2032&version=1&filename=List_of_possible_3_QoS_levels_v_3.pdf)
|Role||Questions for Developing User Stories||Comments||Topic||Priority||Phase|
|Consumer||I want a list of the available services and their price||As a PoC, list of services that will have a price associated is HIGH||Pricing||Low||2nd|
|Consumer||Who helps me when issues arise ? Is this help cost and how much?||To be agreed, and then defined as part of the SLA||Support / SLA||Med||1st|
|Consumer||Where do I get information about your services?||This is connected to publishing information, which is low. The AP to be used at the start.||Service Catalogue||Low||2nd|
|Consumer||How can I access your services? Do you have a portal or something similar?||AP to be used at the start, more comprehensive tools to be explored.||Service Access||Low||2nd|
|Consumer||What is the price? Is it cheaper than the commercial cloud?||Need to have this justification/rational early||Pricing||High||1st|
|Consumer||If not, what is the difference with commercial clouds? What are the advantages or using yours?||Need to have this justification/rational early||Value Proposition||High||1st|
|Consumer||How can I pay for the services? Credit Card? Bitcoins?||Billing aspects/during PoC to start with invoicing/bank transfer; Tokens, credit cards, bitcoins for potential future/production||Payment||Med||1st|
|Consumer||Can I receive a formal invoice with my requirements to put it into my budget?||Yes. Will be part of AP development and JRA1 tool activity||Payment||Med||1st|
|Consumer||How can I be sure the price is equal to the quality of resource?||Add rationale around acceptance of HEPSPEC - fully transparent within the SLA||Pricing / Service Quality||Med||1st|
|Consumer||Are any other communities paying for resources?||Start an initial list through the PoC, maybe add a survey question||Use Cases||High||1st|
|Consumer||Do you have Windows?||Yes, for the cloud resources; Overall, ambiguous and needs to be specified||Technical||Med||1st|
|Consumer||Do you support products with licensing (like ANSYS, that only allows licenses for a given customer, not shared) even if the license machine is at my site behind a firewall? how?||To be explored in 2nd phase||Licensing||Med||2nd|
|Consumer||Can I test for free? (only next 12 months or so)||This will be part of the 2nd phase in designing more comprehensive service packages||Service Package||Med||2nd|
|Consumer||Is your firewall open for what I need?||Part of our technical architecture and description||Technical||Med||1st|
|Consumer||I can't ftp, do you support dropbox?||More connected to storage, which is in a later phase - for now we are just accounting for current storage sites i.e. DPM and dCache||Technical||Low||2nd|
|Consumer||Do I need a certificate? who gives it?||For grid services yes, for cloud?||Authentication||Med||1st|
|Consumer||Do I get a machine/service for me immediately at any time? will the machine be too busy? is the data transfer too slow? can I use Teamviewer?||This will be part of the 2nd phase in designing more comprehensive service packages||Service Package / SLA||Med||2nd|
|Consumer||Is there a Service Level Agreement?||Yes, we need to define this now as many other aspects depend on the contents||SLA||High||1st|
|Resource Provider||I want to set a price for the Grid Compute service on a HEPSPEC-hour (or hour?)||Part of initial core activities||Pricing||High||1st|
|Resource Provider||I want to set a price for the Cloud Compute service based on ....||Part of initial core activities||Pricing||High||1st|
|Resource Provider||I want to set a price for the Grid/Cloud Storage service based on GB per month||Instructions are available to do this||Pricing||High||1st|
|Resource Provider||How much extra effort & on how many people does this require, and at what level?||This will depend on the desired business model||Cost||High||2nd|
|Resource Provider||Can I pay such extra effort to those people?||This will depend on individual RCs to evaluate available effort and potential return||Cost||Med||2nd|
|Resource Provider||If I give a contact name, how many mails/calls will she/he receive?||This will be clearly defined in SLAs and OLAs. Current support management to re-used||Support / SLA||Med||1st|
|Resource Provider||When do I get the extra funds and under what constraints?||To be defined by the business model and OLA/Contract||OLA / Contract||Low||1st|
|Resource Provider||Can I reject potential users that will create more problems than benefits? On what basis?||Security policies are already available. Any other "restrictions" on usage need to be defined in the SLA or other applicable policies.||Security / SLA||Med||2nd|
|Resource Provider||What are the legal issues if the customer is not in my country?||To be defined by the legal and policy activities||Legal / Policy||Med||1st|
|Resource Provider||Will digital certificates be used?||To be defined in the technical architecture||Authentication||High||1st|
|Resource Provider||Do I know these users? (example, bitcoin "researchers") Does it make sense to work with them even if they say they work on research or innovation?||Part of the accounting activities||Legal / Policy||High||1st|
|Resource Provider||Can parts of administration be outsourced? If so, what are the service costs? What are the benefits?||This will depend on the business model chosen.||Business Model||Med||1st|
|Resource Provider||What agreements do I have to make and with whom?||To be defined in a dedicated activity.||Agreements||High||1st|
|Resource Provider||Does VAT apply? If so, when?||Taxation also a subject to clarified. Initial report already available||Pricing / Legal||Low||1st|
|Resource Provider||We are a publicly funded institution, are there any known restrictions for selling services?||To be defined by the legal and policy activities||Legal / Policy||High||1st|
|Technology Provider||What technologies are you lacking that we could offer or develop? Can I develop pay-per-use tools and deploy them? Can I charge for that?||Tools will be important, but from an external perspective a later activity||Technology / Tools||Med||2nd|
|Technology Provider||How do I get paid? who pays me? when?||Part of the business model and resulting agreements||Payment / Contract||Med||2nd|
|Technology Provider||Who is our interface for e.g. agreements/contracts, requirements, improvement, support?||Part of the business model and resulting agreements||Business Model||Med||2nd|
|Technology Provider||Can I deploy a contextualised solution?||To be developed as more complex business cases/scenarios are defined||Technical||Med||2nd|
|Technology Provider||Do you run on Windows?||Yes as part of the cloud solution, but this is more covers more areas than the question suggest. To be defined||Technical||Low||1st|
|Technology Provider||Does it make sense to prepare something for mobile phones?||This could be looked at in terms of post-PoC activities/recommendations.||Service||Low||2nd|
|Broker||What agreements do I have to make and with whom?||Part of the business model and resulting agreements||Agreements||Med||1st|
|Broker||How do I get paid? who pays me? when?||Payments|
|Broker||Do customers prefer a % and/or flat rate for broker services? Will it depend?||To be defined as part of the business model activity||Business Model||Med||1st|
|Broker||How is revenue shared in federated service provision? (e.g. GOCDB, Acct Portal)||To be defined as part of the business model activity||Business Model||Low||1st|
|Multi||Do I have to get involved in the communication between provider and user after an agreement/contract is signed? If yes, how do I get a percent or a contract for support?||To be defined as part of the business model activity||Technical||Med||1st|
|Multi||How can I teach this to the users?||Support model to be developed.||Support||Med||2nd|
|All||How can I learn what is this about?||This is connected to publishing information, which is low. The AP to be used at the start.||Service Description||Low||2nd|
January 2014: Kick-off of the activity
- Hold first call - 23 Feb 2014 @ 12:00 CET (TBC)
- Establish fixed day and time for semi-monthly calls
April 2014: First phase implementation of all technical specifications, list of required agreements and refinements to policy issues documented in the EGI Sustainability Plan (M48)
- Review technical detail table and complete with relevant information
- Associate prices within GOCDB according to instructions provided here
- Accounting Portal to make required extraction from GOCDB and accounting for usage
- Pull the site data and create a table for use in displaying charging. This table should be directly viewable, at least for the pilot.
- Create test cpu view like the cloud one. Best to base it on the Custom_View so that we can select particular VOs relevant to the pilot.
- Investigate and implement a billing function (initially a virtual bill)
- Perform a gap analysis of supporting services (either new or extensions to the current tools) that would enable the increased automation of the process once it has been manually established and subsequent development required for missing functionality.
- Report back on identified issues and overall progress
- Identify and evaluate legal, policy, and organisational issues around the full implementation of the pay-for-use model (review initial information from first survey)
- Articulate appropriate business and responsibility models (review initial broker models developed)
- Request potential consultation from FedSM regarding service management processes and agreements.
- Collate information to be presented within Sustainability Plan that is easily digestible (Lead: EGI.eu)
May 2014: Pay-for-Use aspects included in Federated Cloud release (even in Beta/pre-production)
- Identify members involved in the EGI Federated Cloud to serve as pay-for-use representatives
- Gather requirements from the EGI FedCloud for its inclusion
June 2014: First presentation of activities and feedback from EGI-InSPIRE EC Review
- PoC to decide what information to be presented and ultimate goal
October 2014: Conclusion of phase 2 activities: updates from feedback and overall refinements
- TBD based on activities carried out. Dedicated F2F to be discussed either following EC review or other date TBD (e.g. Sept 2014).
December 2014: Circulation/Publication of Final Proof of Concept Report
- To be included in final EGI-InSPIRE Periodic Report (Lead: EGI.eu with requested contributions from PoC members)