SVG:Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities
|Main page||Software Security Checklist||Issue Handling||Advisories||Notes On Risk||Advisory Template||More|
Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities
More information is likely to be added in the coming days. This is an initial version.
Purpose of this page
To provide useful links and other information concerning the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities, which we consider relevant to the EGI infrastructure.
What are they?
These are vulnerabilities in the design of the chip hardware, and cannot be fully resolved by patching operating systems. However patches are available which mitigate these problems.
Meltdown affects most Intel chips, and has CVE-2017-5754
Spectre affects a wide range of chips, CVE-2017-5753 and CVE-2017-5715.
Here you will find more information http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intel_amd_arm_cpu_vulnerability/
CERN has compiled information which is useful for many EGI sites
RedHat CVE info: 
- kernel Security Update: CESA-2018:0007
- microcode_ctl Security Update: CESA-2018:0012
also needs dracut BugFix Update for AMD: CEBA-2018:0042
- linux-firmware Security Update: CESA-2018:0014
- qemu-kvm Security Update: CESA-2018:0023
- libvirt Security Update: CESA-2018:0029
- kernel Security Update: CESA-2018:0008
- microcode_ctl Security Update: CESA-2018:0013
- qemu-kvm Security Update: CESA-2018:0024
- libvirt Security Update: CESA-2018:0030
See further in the centos-announce Security mails for January https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-January/date.html
The Kernel update of the hypervisor appears to be enough to ensure the isolation of the VMs.