|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|EGI Core services menu:||Services PHASE I •||Services PHASE II •||Services PHASE III •||Bids •||Payments •||Travel procedure •||Performance|
Go back to the EGI Core Activities Bidding page.
- Service name: Helpdesk service (GGUS)
EGI provides support to users and operators through a distributed helpdesk with central coordination (GGUS). The central helpdesk provides a single interface for support. The central system is interfaced to a variety of other ticketing systems at the NGI level in order to allow a bi-directional exchange of tickets.
The GGUS system is divided into three environments: development, test and production environment. Every environment includes three layers:
- Presentation - web frontend to provide the entry point for the graphical user interface;
- Logic - AR Server which executes the workflow rules and performs the main tasks. AR Server is providing the communication interface between external systems and is accompanied by the email-engine to provide the additional mail-based interface into the helpdesk system;
- Backend - Oracle DBMS
This activity is responsible for the coordination of the system operation and upgrade activities with those partners that are in charge of operating other systems that depend on it. Coordination with user communities, technology providers and operators is provided by dedicated Advisory Board meetings.
- Service operations
- Daily running of the system
- Support Unit maintenance
- Provisioning of a high availability configuration
- A test infrastructure to verify interoperability and the impact of software upgrades on depending systems
Service operations Daily running of the system Support Unit maintenance Provisioning of a high availability configuration
- Ticket oversight
- This activity includes the administrative and reporting functions of the helpdesk infrastructure, e.g. collecting ticket statistics, and internal and external reporting of statistics for SLAs monitoring and other reporting duties. Ticket follow-up includes notifying supporters when the reaction to high-priority tickets is not fast enough, requesting information from ticket submitters when they do not react, and ensuring assigners/resolvers will react sufficiently fast when the submitter provides additional information.
This activity includes:
- bug fixing, proactive maintenance, improvement of the system
- coordination of software maintenance activities with other technology providers that provide software for the EGI Core Infrastructure or remote systems deployed by integrated and peer *infrastructures that interoperate with the central EGI components of the system.
- requirements gathering
Support is provided through the EGI helpdesk itself to users and operators of helpdesk systems integrated with GGUS about bugs and incidents affecting the GGUS system itself to the operators of integrated (or to be integrated) helpdesks about GGUS interfaces and testing activities to users of GGUS about the functionality provided by GGUS Support hours: eight hours a day , Monday to Friday – excluding public holidays of the hosting organization.
Service level targets
- Minimum availability/reliability: 99%/99%
- Response to incident records in GGUS within support hours: Medium (see https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/FAQ_GGUS-PT-QoS-Levels#Medium_service)
Bids planning a total effort of about 12 Person Months/year would allow these services and activities to be addressed appropriately.