ELIXIR Virtual Organisation
|EGI-Engage Competence centres:||Main page||ELIXIR||BBMRI||MoBrain||DARIAH||LifeWatch||EISCAT_3D||EPOS||Disaster Mitigation |||EGI-Engage Knowledge Commons|
This Virtual Organisation (VO) contributes to the ELIXIR effort of building a sustainable European infrastructure for biological information, supporting life science research and its translation to medicine, agriculture, bioindustries and society. The Virtual Organisation constitutes the backbone of the ELIXIR Compute Platform and federates cloud compute and storage resources from ELIXIR and EGI providers.
The VO is currently open for the application piloting activities of the ELIXIR Competence Centre of the EGI-Engage H2020 project. Further information about the Competence Centre is available at https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/CC-ELIXIR. Access to the VO resources is restricted to those working on the Competence Centre activities.
Cloud resources in the VO
- CESNET-MetaCloud: OpenNebula cloud;
- IN2P3-IRES: OpenStack cloud;
Under discussion: EMBL-EBI, GRNET, CSC, SURFsara
- Steven Newhouse (EMBL-EBI)
- Miroslav Ruda (CESNET)
Acceptable use policy
This Acceptable Use Policy applies to all members of the "vo.elixir-europe.org" Virtual Organisation, hereafter referred to as the VO, and the resources that members are able to access through the VO mechanism. Members of the EGI-Engage Competence Centre (https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/CC-ELIXIR) owns and gives authority to this policy. This VO contributes to the ELIXIR effort of building a sustainable European infrastructure for biological information, supporting life science research and its translation to medicine, agriculture, bioindustries and society.
All VO members (users, managers, infrastructure providers) agree to be bound by this Acceptable Use Policy and to use the resources within the VO only in the furtherance of the stated goal of the VO. By registering in the VO as a user you shall be deemed to accept these conditions of use:
- You shall only use the VO services to perform work, or transmit or store data consistent with the stated goals, policies and conditions of use as defined by the body or bodies granting you access.
- You shall not use the VO for any unlawful purpose and not (attempt to) breach or circumvent any administrative or security controls.
- You shall respect intellectual property and confidentiality agreements.
- You shall protect your access credentials (e.g. passwords or private keys).
- You shall immediately report any known or suspected security breach or misuse of the VO or access credentials to email@example.com and to the relevant credential issuing authorities. (firstname.lastname@example.org for ELIXIR accounts)
- You must notify the Registrar of any changes to your Registration Information.
- Use of the VO is at your own risk. There is no guarantee that the VO will be available at any time or that it will suit any purpose.
- Logged information, including information provided by you for registration purposes, is used for administrative, operational, accounting, monitoring and security purposes only. This information may be disclosed, via secured mechanisms, only for the same purposes and only as far as necessary to other organisations cooperating with the VO. Although efforts are made to maintain confidentiality, no guarantees are given.
- The access-granting bodies and Resource Providers are entitled to regulate, suspend or terminate your access, within their domain of authority, and you shall immediately comply with their instructions.
- You are liable for the consequences of you violating any of these conditions of use.
- The VO includes core services from the EGI e-infrastructure, thus other relevant EGI Policies and Procedures also apply to certain VO member groups. See these policies at http://www.egi.eu/about/policy/policies_procedures.html. (Policies tagged 'Users' apply to VO members, Policies tagged 'Infrastructure' apply to cloud providers)
Instruction for users
How to register
- Apply for VO membership at https://perun.elixir-czech.cz/registrar/?vo=elixir&group=EGI:vo.elixir-europe.org. You will be asked to create an account in ELIXIR, this is part of the registration process to the VO vo.elixir-europe.org.
- VO membership is received and evaluated by the VO Managers. Membership is currently restricted to those working in the ELIXIR Competence Centre application/service porting activities. Membership is expected to be broadened for other ELIXIR partners during 2017.
- You receive a notification email about the approval/rejection of your VO membership request.
How to use IaaS clouds
You can use the same user identity to access any of the participating cloud site. You need to generate an RFC proxy certificate with VOMS attributes to interact with the clouds. This can be done on this portal: VO portal. Interact with IaaS cloud resources using your RFC proxy.
IaaS cloud resources can expose two types of interfaces towards users (one or the other or both - depending on the cloud provider):
- Open Standard interfaces: OCCI (Open Cloud Computing Interface) to manage compute, blocks storage and network resources. This interface set are currently exposed by all of the OpenNebula and Synnefo cloud providers, and some of the OpenStack providers.
- OpenStack interfaces: The native OpenStack interfaces (with X.509 authentication). These interfaces are currently exposed by all of the OpenStack-based EGI cloud providers.
The user can interact with IaaS cloud resources via programming APIs, command line interfaces or Web dashboards. The different access modes are summarized in the following table:
|Open Standards interface||OpenStack interface|
|API level access||OCCI||OpenStack Compute && Openstack Object Storage|
|Command Line access||rOCCI-cli||OpenStack CLI with VOMS authentication plugin|
|Web dashboard access||AppDB VMOps Dashboard (in final test)||OpenStack Horizon (production instance under deployment)|
Check out these tutorial slides for a practical overview on how to use the IaaS resources using the rOCCI-cli.
Join the VO as an IaaS cloud provider
The D6.10 deliverable of the EGI-Engage ELIXIR Competence Centre provides guidance for cloud providers on how to federate their site into the Virtual Organisation: https://documents.egi.eu/document/2841. Fur further support email <email@example.com>.
- VO ID card in the EGI Operations Portal: http://operations-portal.egi.eu/vo/view/voname/vo.elixir-europe.org