VT Business Engagement
|EGI Activity groups||Special Interest groups||Policy groups||Virtual teams||Distributed Competence Centres|
|EGI Virtual teams:||Main •||Active Projects •||Closed Projects •||Guidelines|
|VT Business Engagement:||Home •||Document •||Meetings|
General Project Information
- Leader: Javier Jimenez, EGI.eu
- Mailing List: email@example.com
- Status: Approved and Finished
- Start Date: 01/04/2014
- End Date: 31/10/2014 (7 months)
- Meetings: Finished
There are more than 20 million SMEs in the EU representing 99% of businesses. SMEs are considered one of the key drivers for economic growth, innovation, and employment. The European Commission has made them one of the focuses in the Horizon 2020 with the aim of putting SMEs in the lead for the delivery of innovation to the market. EGI aims at supporting this policy objective by exploring opportunities for synergies with SMEs (e.g, offering the EGI innovative services for big data analytics).
The goal is to establish a Business Engagement Programme for developing relationships with SMEs and bringing them into the EGI ecosystem to create mutual value. By entering into the programme companies can identify their own business opportunities, advertise their services, and/or conduct R&D activities in collaboration with the public research sector using the capabilities that EGI makes available for them.
SMEs are welcome to propose their ideas for collaboration and, if deemed appropriate, have the opportunity to participate in the development of the infrastructure, for example by creating specific user interfaces for data and infrastructure management. They could also access large scale computational capacity for developing prototypes/proof of concepts and bringing them to production, perform pre-competitive research, publish articles, and/or get access to potential clients by sponsoring/participating EGI events. The main constraints in using the EGI infrastructure is that services and applications should not have a commercial purpose, nevertheless EGI can act as a catalyst and when applications/services reach maturity for commercial exploitation, they could move the commercial market.
With the creation of this virtual team we also want to create the basis for future, broader actions by identifying SMEs potentially willing to collaborate with EGI in these activities and establishing active strategic partnerships. SMEs participating in the program may also be part of future Horizon 2020 proposals.
The final output of this VT is a well-defined Business Engagement program for SMEs that is validated with a number of initial companies. The VT will also produce a list (or database) of suitable SMEs across Europe potentially willing to collaborate with EGI and able to do so (NGIs’ representatives will be crucial to identify them).
- SME Business Engagement Program describing target organisations, rules of engagement, value proposition
- List of potential candidate SMEs
- Initial list of SMEs that engage with the program and provide feedback about it
The general work plan is as follows: (Will be revised as the group starts)
- Define an SME Business Engagement Program
- Define the desired profile of the SMEs to be integrated
- Identify potential opportunities - technical and non-technical
- Create an SME/Business database of contacts across Europe (KPI: number of leads, 200 entries with contact details)
- Make contact - either F2F or virtually (KPI: 40 contacts documented)
- Gather feedback on experience and potential requirements
- Establish formal relationship (KPI: 3) (See EBA Programme)
- Javier Jimenez, EGI.eu/VTLeader
- Arad Alper, IUCC
- Sergio Andreozzi, EGI.eu
- Fabrice Brito, Terra Due
- Hervé Caumont, Terradue Srl (Helix Nebula)
- Alessandro Constantini, INFN (NGI_IT)
- Andreas Drakos, AgroKnow
- Noelia Fagina-Lago, UNIPG/Master-up srl
- Nuno Ferreira, EGI.eu
- Dean Flanders, FMI
- Ricardo Graciani, Dirac
- Todor Gurov, IICT-BAS
- Frank Heere, Surf-SARA
- Sy Holsinger, EGI.eu
- Aneta Karaivanova, IICT-BAS
- Tamas Kiss, CloudSME
- Antonio Lagana, UNIPG
- Nikos Marianos, AgroKnow
- Stéphane Poss, DIRAC/AlpesLaser SA
- Geneviève Romier, France Grilles
- Gergely Sipos, EGI.eu
- Jelena Tamulienė, VU
- Zivan Yoash, IUCC
- NGI Reps, etc.
The members of the group already have a network of contacts in the SMEs world, and are able to contribute in the creation of a SME/Business database, and able to mediate in the definition of the interaction (or the nature of the relationship) between the proposed SME and EGI.
- Resource 1
- Resource 2
- Task 1
- Task 2
- Task N