The aim of this page is tracking the progressive decommissioning of SL5 from sites.
UMD is getting ready to support CentOS7. Supporting a new platform will require to decommission a previously support O.S. to make available new resources. EGI Operations will like to decommission Scientific Linux 5.
Please start tracking which sites are still using SL5 services: how many services, and for each service if still needed on SL5, if upgrades on SL5 services are expected). Also interesting to understand who is using Debian.
From September 2015 on, UMD3 will support only security fixes for SL5. Security updates will be available until March 2016.
All SL5 services must be decommissioned by April 2016. On February probes will start warning about SL5 services to be decommissioned.
Description of the process
- Procedure is https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/PROC16_Decommissioning_of_unsupported_software
- Decommissioning deadline: April 30, 2016
- Decommissioning start date: January 31, 2016
- On Jan31 a new probe is deployed into the MW SAM and starts returning WARNING with SL5
- On Feb28 the probe starts returning CRITICAL.
- From Feb28 on, RODs follow up the service migration by creating operations ticket through Operations Dashboard (see https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/PROC16_Decommissioning_of_unsupported_software#Escalation_phase)
[2016-03-01] Request to turn WARNINGs into CRITICAL: https://ggus.eu/?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=118901#update#21
[2016-01-15] Preparation of probe requested https://ggus.eu/?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=118901
[2016-01-15] UMD4 released with CentOS7
[2015-12-17] SL5 retirement announced at OMB https://indico.egi.eu/indico/getFile.py/access?contribId=5&resId=0&materialId=slides&confId=2383
[2015-07-13] SAM-nagios is still SL5, no SL6 available. ARGO will get fully centralized, there is no need to use SAM-nagios anymore, so regional instances won't be used anymore.
Services that are not probed by midmon
- dCache HINT: for installations exposing the web admin interface, you can go to: http://<hostname>:2288/info and check within the XML for the "<os>" tag
- don't forget to upgrade the apel client host if on SL5, we count on it to stop brokers accepting SSLv3
2016-04-18 Overall status
- 6 Top-BDII
- 30 Site-BDII
- 6 MyProxy
- 21 WMS and 11 LB
- 8 VOMS
- 2 ARGUS
- 27 CREAM-CE
- 2 QCG Computing
- 6 STORM
2016-05-09 Overall status
- 3 Top-BDII
- 22 Site-BDII
- 6 MyProxy
- 13 WMS and 11 LB
- 3 VOMS
- 2 ARGUS
- 19 CREAM-CE
- 0 QCG Computing
- 4 STORM
2016-06-13 Overall status
- from this week on EGI Operations will start suspending sites that host services in production with SL5 and not set under downtime
Reports by NGIs
Please report here which SL5 services are running, at which sites, and the corresponding dismission plan.
Only the regional SAM-Nagios box. This will be decommissioned as soon as the central monitoring is reliable.
Our NGI Nagios (sam-nagios) server is still SL5 (We tried to build an SL6 one but failed due to lack of sam-nagios SL6 package. I wonder if SL6 sam-nagios is already available now.)
Also, these sites: HK-HKU-CC-01, INDIACMS-TIFR, and IR-IPM-HEP still have SL5 servers.
[Apr29] According to our survey, all sites should meet the deadline.
National holidays, and "long weekend" starting 30.04-03.05. In case some sites fail tests on 01.05, please give us a little bit more time till 06.05, before starting suspension procedure :)
For sure, we do not upgrade Nagios boxes (6 instances including vo nagioses and test instances).
The only SL5 is the one holding ngi.SAM (ngi-ro-nagios.nipne.ro).
No SL5 services.
Only NGI instances of SAM-nagios are on SL5.
- WMS/LB: Being decommissioned following PROC12: tracked at https://ggus.eu/?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=120973
- BDII: SL5 BDII due to be upgraded
- SAM/VO Nagios SL5 only as with other NGIs (as discussed)
Castor SRM systems. SRM upgrade waiting on Castor upgrade.
- BDII: SL5 BDII retired
- CREAM & BDII upgraded
- SL5 CREAM decommissioned
Only the ROC SAM-Nagios box is still with SL5 This will be decommissioned as soon as the central monitoring is reliable.
[Apr27] the last SL5-powered service in Russian region was reinstalled into CentOS 6 this week, https://goc.egi.eu/portal/index.php?Page_Type=Downtime&id=20542 so ROC_Russia now is free of SL5 machines visible via midmon. There are 3 more disk pools running SL5 over the whole region, we're trying to follow up on their upgrade, though it will take some time.