|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|Tools menu:||• Main page||• Instructions for developers||• Accounting Repository||• AppDB||• GGUS||• Message brokers||• ARGO||• Operations Portal||• GOCDB|
|• AAI Proxy||• Metric Portal||• Licenses||• OTAGs||• Accounting Portal||• e-GRANT||• Perun||• Gstat||• LToS|
|This article is Deprecated and should no longer be used, but is still available for reasons of reference.|
The Service Availability Monitoring (SAM) system is used to monitor the resources within the production infrastructure. SAM monitoring data is used for calculation of availability and reliability of grid sites.
SAM Nagios probes re-factoring TF
SAM tool instances
SAM Tests terminology and types
Test is a procedure which checks specific functionality of a given service, i.e. single measurement (e.g. org.bdii.Freshness, hr.srce.RGMA-CertLifetime). Tests are executed on NGI/ROC SAM instances.
A SAM test is:
- an OPERATIONS test which raises alarms in the Operations Portal (see list of OPERATIONS tests)
- an AVAILABILITY test whose result is used for Resource Centre availability calculation by ACE (see the ROC_CRITICAL profle)
NOTE: CRITICAL is used ONLY to refer to one of the possible results returned by a Nagios probe.
Probe is code which implements single or multiple tests.
Metric instances are tuples of flavour, metric name and optionally FQAN (POEM documentation). Metric is a synonym for tests used in the development documentation. In operations document "test" is the reference term to be used.
POEM (Profile Management Database, former Metric Description Database) aims to describe existing metrics and group (profiles) them in order to run tests. In addition it should define actions that can either configure the way the availability and reliability is computed or allow notifications to messaging system.
A POEM is a profile as a triple of (vo, atp_groups and metric instances) where:
- set of atp_groups is a set of service instances defined in the Aggregated Topology Provider via a VO feed, e.g. LHCb_Site LCG.CNAF-T2.it= (service_instance1, service_instance2, etc.)
- set of (service_flavor, metric, fqan) tuples
- metric is fully qualified name of the metric (e.g. hr.srce.SRM2-CertLifetime)
- service_flavor is taken from ATP (e.g. CE, SRM, etc.)
- FQAN - voms role to use for the tests (e.g. /Role=lcgadm) - as metric1 is run with fqan1, metric1 with fqan2, etc.
- VO: is the name of the VO
In other words, the profile is a cartesian product of service groups and metrics, plus VO.
New Administration Guide
Please use this guides to install SAM Nagios "Update 23" instance - SAMUpdate23
- SAM Release Notes
- SAM admin guide (including configuration via YAIM)
- SAM/NAGIOS Reference Card for sitemanger
- VO SAM
- Monitoring uncertified sites:
- IMPORTANT. EGI.eu provides catch-all WMS and BDII services for the monitoring of uncertified sites. The service is open for use, and your NGI can easily apply here.
- SAM Probes
- Probes development policy
- Obsoleted pages:EMI Nagios and status (ARC, dCache, gLite, UNICORE)
This section collects all information related to the SAM team support activities.
- Support to EGI:
- Incidents and bugs affecting the SAM services are managed via GGUS tickets. These tickets follow a support line of three levels:
- Other topics (different from incidents, bugs, requirements, coordination) are managed on a best effort basis, on the SAM EGI mailing list (argo-ggus-support AT grnet.gr).
- Validate ROC or NGI Nagios Procedures: PROC05
- Setting a Nagios test status to OPERATIONS: PROC06
- Adding new probes to SAM: PROC07
- Management of the EGI OPS Availability and Reliability Profile: PROC08
- Andreade, P.; M. Babik, M.; Bhatt, K; Service Availability Monitoring Framework Based On Commodity Software; CHEP12, March 2012 (poster)