PROC07 Adding new probes to ARGO
|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|Documentation menu:||Home •||Manuals •||Procedures •||Training •||Other •||Contact ►||For:||VO managers •||Administrators|
|Title||Adding new probes to ARGO|
|Policy Group Acronym||OMB|
|Policy Group Name||Operations Management Board|
|Procedure Statement||This document specifies the procedure for adding new probes to the ARGO release.|
The purpose of this document is to clearly describe the procedure for adding new Nagios probes to the ARGO release.
Please refer to the EGI Glossary for the definitions of the terms used in this procedure.
The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", “MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
The key words Metric, Probe are defined in the following way:
- Metric: Metric instances are tuples of flavour, metric name and optionally FQAN. Metric is a synonym for tests used in the development documentation. In operations document "test" is the reference term to be used.
- Probe: a code which implements single or multiple tests.
Guidelines for monitoring probes
The following document describes the policy to develop, package and integrate new probes into the ARGO Monitoring Engine:
This procedure only applies to probes which are run under OPS VO and whose scope is global. The implication of this is: that any change requested through this procedure has an impact on all EGI Operations Centres in EGI.
This procedure does not apply to SAM internal probes which perform monitoring of individual components on the ARGO instance (e.g. process monitoring, ActiveMQ connections, etc.).
Entities involved in the procedure
- Applicant. The Applicant submits a request for adding a new probe. Anyone in the operations community - Resource Centre administrators, Operations Centre staff, Resource Infrastructure Operations Managers - is allowed to submit such a request. The Applicant is responsible for the development and maintenance of the proposed Nagios probe. The Nagios probe use case needs to be well documented.
- COO. COO is OMB meeting chair, responsible of processing the request and of accepting/refusing it with the consensus of the Resource Infrastructure Providers.
- ARGO Product Team. The ARGO Product Team is responsible of scheduling, integrating and releasing the accepted probes.
|1||Applicant||A request is submitted through a EGI GGUS ticket (https:/ggus.eu) by assigning to Operations SU. |
Subject: Request for adding new probe XXX to ARGO-SAM We would like to request adding new probe XXX to ARGO-SAM release Prerequisite data: * name of the Nagios probe: * name of service on which the test runs: * link to documentation page: * motivation (which part of the infrastructure will be improved with the new probe or description of users' problems which will be avoided in future - provide list of GGUS tickets is possible)
|2||COO / Operations||
Reviews the requirement submitted, sends an email to NGI Managers to make them aware of the request, and:
|3||Applicant||Presents the new probe.|
|4||OMB||OMB decides if the new probe will be included in ARGO. The next steps are performed only if the probe is accepted.|
|5||COO / Operations||Reassigns the ticket to "Monitoring (ARGO)" in order to deploy the probe on the test instance|
|6||ARGO Product Team||
Deploys the new probe on the test instance and reports back to Operations any issues and the outcomes of the test
|7||ARGO Product Team||
Agree with Operations when deploying the new probe on the production instance, with its inclusion in the ARGO_MON profile.
|8||ARGO Product Team / Operations||Closes the initial GGUS ticket after the release of the probes|
|M. Krakowian||2014-08-19||Changed contact group -> Operations support|
|C. Aiftimiei||2014-09-18||Removed broken link "detailed description" on Step 6|
|Alessandro Paolini||2016-06-08||Changed contact group -> Operations|
|Alessandro Paolini||2017-06-01||Changed the name SAM to ARGO-SAM|
|Alessandro Paolini||2018-06-19||Definitions: Metric and Probed as defined in the deprecated terminology page (link removed). Overview: updated the link to ARGO/SAM wiki page|
|Alessandro Paolini||2019-12-17||updated the procedure to reflect the fact that there is a testing instance of ARGO suitable to test the integration of either new probes or simply new version of existing probes, before the deployment in production; replaced the old name "SAM" with "ARGO"|
|Alessandro Paolini||2021-01-27||added the section about the guidelines for the monitoring probes|