|EGI Inspire Main page|
|Inspire reports menu:||Home •||SA1 weekly Reports •||SA1 Task QR Reports •||NGI QR Reports •||NGI QR User support Reports|
|Quarterly Report Number||NGI Name||Partner Name||Author|
1. MEETINGS AND DISSEMINATION
1.1. CONFERENCES/WORKSHOPS ORGANISED
|Date||Location||Title||Participants||Outcome (Short report & Indico URL)|
The HPC testbed of the Italian Grid Infrastructure
Journal / Proceedings title
In Proceedings of the 21st Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed, and Network-Based Processing (PDP'13), Belfast, Northern Ireland
2013 21st Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed, and Network-Based Processing, 2013 http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/PDP.2013.42
Pages from - to
2. ACTIVITY REPORT
2.1. User Support achievements
During PQ12 NGI_IT user support activities for new communities focused on the following main items:
- Testing in production with real use cases the IGI Portal high level web interface in particular for what concerns the data management section
- Improvement (in collaboration with user communities and the operations team) of the parallel jobs support of the Italian infrastructure
- Support to a a new Life Science user community, the BioComputing group of the Bologna University to create their Grid based computing model to run protein alignment applications (based on BLAST). The activity aims at running a production which requires about 750000 CPU hours and several TB of storage space. Italian national VOs and the BIOMED VO are being used to obtain the needed resources.
- Improvement of the high level interface created on the IGI Portal for the ANSYS(R) application. A license manager limiter mechanism has been added. It is also able to monitor the licence usage per user.
- Definition of requirements to create high level interface on the IGI portal for the new communties we supported in the previous quarter: the CNR-ISAC and CNR-ISOF research groups located in Bologna that run GLOBO and NAMD based workflows (see QR11 for more details)
- Support to the EMSO ESFRI project community. This activity was run during PQ9 and PQ10 (see QR9 and 10 for details) and was then suspended in PQ11. We are resuming the collaboration and a new meeting with the EMSO management is planned for the 16th of May in Catania. A chapter about EMSO was prepared in collaboration with the community for the "Scientific Use Case" pubblication that EGI is preparing.
- A new user community has been contacted, the CNR-IMATI (the Nation Reaseach Council Institute for Apllied Mathematics and Information Technology, Genova Department) interested in running hydrological applications on the Grid infrasructure using virtual machines (including Windows machines). A meeting is planned on the 8th of May to define the community requirements
- Organisation of a Grid school on application porting. It will be focused on Computational Chemistry applications and will start from rela life use cases of national user communities. The school is planned to be held in September.
- Attendance and contributions preparation of the following international conferences: Euromicro Intrnational Converence on Parallel, Distributed, and Network-Based Processing (PDP13, http://www.pdp2013.org/), International Symposium on Grids and Clouds (ISGC13, http://event.twgrid.org/isgc2013/), EGI Community Forum 2013 (EGI-CF13, http://cf2013.egi.eu/), International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications (ICCSA13, http://www.iccsa.org/).
- Attendance and contributions of the EGI Resource Allocation Task Force (https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/Resource_Allocation_Task_Force) aimed at develop a model and the related processes for allocation of resources as a service to international collaborations
- Coordination and attendance of the VT about the creation of the Computational Chemistry and Material Science and Technology (CMMST) VRC (https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/Towards_a_CMMST_VRC)
- Participation to the EGI-XSEDE call for collaborative use cases examples - a proposal on mixed HTC-HPC compchem workflows for real life use cases from different research groups has been submitted
During the next quarter we plan to continue the activities started in the previous quarters and not yet completed.
We also plan to resume the technical collaboration with the EMSO ESFRI project.
A Grid porting school i splanned for September as discussed in the previous section.
A new user community has been contacted (CNR-IMATI) and we plan to start supporting thieir use case that requires HTC and virtual machines.
The INFN-LNL user community (that is already collaborating with the NGI user support unit to run the ANSYS suite on the Grid) asked us to support them in porting a Monte Carlo application called MCNPX. We plan to start this activity in May.
2.3. Issues and mitigation
|Issue Description||Mitigation Description|