Fedcloud-tf:How to use VMDIRAC
DIRAC has started a collaboration with EGI.eu to offer an open service to the european e-Infrastructure. This service is pilot by several communities of different fields: Astrophysics, Life-Science, Engineering, etc. and will then be offered to others as single access point to all kind of distributed computing and storage resources in Europe and beyond.
VMDIRAC is the DIRAC extension to integrate Federated Clouds in a transparent manner to the user. DIRAC 4 EGI portal integrates EGI Fedcloud infrastructures. Users registered at Fedcloud VO are automatically included in DIRAC 4 EGI service, by default they are included in the fedcloud_user DIRAC group.
DIRAC offers job and infrastrucutre brokering services allowing a transparent access to the resources.
Access to the services:
- Web API acceess: Users are authenticated with their browser certificated, then they can use fedcloud_user group to submit jobs to EGI Fedcloud infrastructures.
- External services (science gateways, VREs, etc): can use python or REST interfaces to submit jobs to EGI Fedcloud using X509 proxy with the fedcloud_user group.
- DIRAC PaaS: user jobs can be wrapped with python scripting to use DIRAC python API which provides Hight Througput Computing PaaS in the client side (simplifying logics and network protocols, ensuring load balancing)
VMDIRAC uses, by default, EGI SL6 Mini as golden image and automatic configuration for each cloud site and user runnning context. Image contextualization is transparent for the user. If a particular software stack is not supported in SL6, then it is necessary to prepare an specific deployment. A single context method is used for all sites and user specifics, taking advantage of cloudinit image setup to run DIRAC VMs.
Please have a look to VMDIRAC users FAQs.
Current DIRAC 4 EGI / VMDIRAC Status
- June 2014. Integrating and testing EGI Fedcloud infrastructure.
- July 2014. Users belonging to vo.fedcloud.egi.eu are automatically supported in dirac.egi.eu.
- July 2014. VMDIRAC v1r1 running, cloudinit contextualization transparently to the end user
- Setember 2014: VMDIRAC v1r2 is out. This is the new VMDIRAC web running at the WebAppDIRAC portal connected to DIRAC4EGI service. https://dirac.ub.edu/EGI/?view=desktop&theme=Grey&url_state=0%7CVMDIRAC.VMDirac.classes.VMDirac::0:0:1261:483:1:0,1,-1,-1,-1,-1
- July 2015. VMDIRAC v1r3 running, clouinit is now including AWS plus bugfix for openstack and openebula