EGI Core activities:2013-bidding Operations Portal
|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|EGI Core services menu:||Services PHASE I •||Services PHASE II •||Services PHASE III •||Bids •||Payments •||Travel procedure •||Performance|
Go back to the EGI Core Activities Bidding page.
Go back to the Core EGI activity list.
- Service name:
- Service category: Operations
- Service type: Coordination, operation and maintenance
The Operations Portal provides VO management functions and other capabilities which support the daily operations of EGI.
EGI.eu provides a central portal for the operations community that offers a bundle of different capabilities, such as the broadcast tool, VO management facilities, a security dashboard and an operations dashboard that is used to display information about failing monitoring probes and to open tickets to the Resource Centres affected. The dashboard also supports the central grid oversight activities. It is fully interfaced with the EGI Helpdesk and the monitoring system through messaging. It is a critical component as it is used by all EGI Operations Centres to provide support to the respective Resource Centres. The Operations Portal provides tools supporting the daily running of operations of the entire infrastructure: grid oversight, security operations, VO management, broadcast, availability reporting.
The Operations Portal provides different capabilities:
- The detection and the follow-up of incidents on the different sites of the EGI infrastructure
- The repository for the static information related to Virtual Organizations
- The broadcast tool
- A visualisation (charts) and notification (emails or rss) system related to the downtimes impacting the services, the sites, the NGIs or the VO
- A reporting and computing system giving the availabilities and reliabilities of the NGI Core services, of the sites and of the services of a VO
- A user tracking tool
- Metrics and charts
The architecture is composed of three modules:
- A database – to store information related to the users or the VO - namely MySQL
- A web module – graphical user interface – which is currently integrated into the Symfony and bootstrap frameworks
- A Data Aggregation and Unification Service named Lavoisier
Lavoisier is the component used to store, consolidate and “feed” data into the web application. This module provides information from various sources without the portal being directly dependent on those information sources thanks to a caching mechanism. This indeed protects us from intermittent failures of information sources.
This portal has been conceived and built as an integration platform of different and heterogeneous sources of information. Lavoisier is used to integrate and harmonized these different data sources.
The different components are integrated in a high available mode:
- the Mysql Database is integrated in a cluster service;
- the web module is also integrated in a cluster service;
- the configuration of Lavoisier is stored in a subversion repository and the service is easily deployable on the fly in case of failure;
- Different instances of the database, web module and Lavoisier are deployed.
This service includes the following components.
This activity is responsible for the coordination of the system operation and upgrade activities with those partners that are in charge of operating other systems that depend on it.
Support through the EGI helpdesk to EGI.eu, VO Managers, EGI CSIRT, Resource Centre, NGI operators for the usage of the various functional modules provided by the tool and to the operators of other depending systems.
Support hours: nine hours a day 9h30-17h30 CEST- Monday to Friday – excluding public holidays of the hosting organization.
- Daily running of the system
- Provisioning of a high availability configuration
- A test infrastructure to verify interoperability and the impact of software upgrades on depending systems
This activity includes:
- core refactoring, bug fixing, proactive maintenance, improvement of the system
- coordination of software maintenance activities with other technology providers that provide software for the EGI Core Infrastructure or remote systems deployed by integrated and peer infrastructures that interoperate with the Operations Portal.
- Maintenance of probes to test the functionality of the service
- Requirements gathering
Service level targets
- Minimum availability/reliability: 99%/99%
- Response to incident records in GGUS within support hours: Medium (see https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/FAQ_GGUS-PT-QoS-Levels#Medium_service)