EGI-InSPIRE:Amb 2013-10-16

From EGIWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
EGI Inspire Main page



Back to the AMB wiki home page

Activity Reports

NA1

  • Progress on Milestones & Deliverables

Preparations for the QR14.

  • Major work done during the past week by task

TNA1.1 Activity management

  • Changes to activity plan to reflect management changes
  • Change in NA2 and SA1 work package leaders proposed

TNA1.2 Project and consortium management

  • Cost statements submitted and accepted for PY3 - Form Cs being sent to EC
  • Budget for 2014 prepared to be voted on at the Council meeting on 24 October
  • Effort allocations adjusted to end of project in consultation with managers - further changes carried out to reflect management changes
  • Recruitment underway for project roles - 5 roles advertised, interviews scheduled for 2

TNA1.4 Quality assurance

  • QR14 materials and metrics being gathered
  • Project level metrics to be updated on the website
  • Project level metrics to be related to the human networks impact

NA2

NA2.2 Weekly Report

  • News Items/Articles

EGI Compendium - Published Change of management - Published Implementation of EGI requirements in openaire - Upcoming MOOC - Upcoming

  • Case Studies

VisiVO - Being redrafted

  • Media mentions

Video on euronews about Sim-e-Child -> http://www.euronews.com/2013/09/23/visions-from-the-heart/

  • Events

SC'13 - Upcoming, materials booked, SC, NoN and DW attending ICT2013 - Upcoming, materials booked

Human Networks Created ToC for the Human Network Blueprint Sent out NILs dispatch with 4 items

  • Deliverables/Milestones

MS243, at the review stage

  • Staffing

Intern - 3 interviews on the 17th of October (2 F2F, 1 via Skype) Graphic Designers - 3 interviews on the 18th of October

  • Other

4 Webinars uploaded, 1 left to upload, 2 left to edit Working on subtitles for Episode 3 of Stories from the Grid Job listings tweeted by user with 35,000 followers (https://twitter.com/FECYT_Ciencia/status/388571431384010752)

TNA2.3E Weekly Report

  • Progress on Milestones & Deliverables

None

  • Major work done during the past week by task
    • D4.9: met with Malgorzata to go through comments and suggested changes
    • MoU with Helix Nebula: addressed comments from partners and sent back for review
    • ICT2013: managed hand-over of networking session submitted by Steven, met with Arjen to discuss how to address it (http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/events/cf/ict2013/item-display.cfm?id=10668)
    • Inspired newsletter: wrote article about the three strategy papers from the EIROForum IT WG
    • attended managers meeting (14.10)
    • liaise with comm team to announce the final version of the Compendium and prepare the news item with quote
    • drafted new version of EGI Glossary to include new terms from FitSM: https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/Glossary_V2
    • progress with developing the EGI.eu Service Management System (https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/EGI_ITSM)
  • Major Events Attended

(Carmela), Cloud Select Industry Group, Brussels, 14 October 2013

  • Major Events Planned

(Sy) FedSM 1st Project Review, 29-30 Oct 2013, Bruxelles (Sergio) e-IRG Workshop, 4-5 Nov 2013, Vilnius (Sergio) ICT2013, 6-8 Nov 2013, Vilnius (Sergio, Sy), EGI workshop, 4-6 Dec 2013, Amsterdam (Carmela?) CoPoRi Workshop, 4-5 Dec 2013, Brussels (Carmela?) Helix Nebula Suppliers face-to-face meeting, 4 Dec 2013, Brussels

NA2.5: Technical Outreach to New Communities

UCST

  • AppDB
    • review and feedback on VM guide
    • updated RT status for all AppDB open tickets
    • meting to prioritize next steps regarding FedCloud
  • FedCloud
    • weekly meeting
    • call with NGI_IL NIL providing basic info on FedCloud; new call to be scheduled.

Meeting with FUH-FTK from Germany to discuss collaboration possibilities (proof of concepts in the area of data provisioning and archival + H2020 proposals) Telcon with XSEDE Neuroscience gateway providers (NSG Portal), follow up security questions with David Groep. Goal is to support the gateway with resources from EGI (cloud or grid) EISCAT_3D collaboration - check scientists' requirement from survey, input for Inspired article Initiate collaboration meetings with two XSEDE groups

  • VLab - about workflow interoperability
  • Wesp - about life science platform for genome sequencing applications

ELIXIR VT - discuss next steps with ELIXIR director (telcon on the week of the 21st, with colleagues from CZ and FI)

Meetings planned: ER-flow review (18 Oct) EUDAT Conference (28-30 Oct) BioVeL review (7 Nov)


Technical services: (input from last week)

AppDB

The latest developments of the AppDB are focused on the extension of our service to a Virtual Appliance Marketplace. These can be viewed in the development instance at http://appdb-dev.marie.hellasgrid.gr/ -> Virtual Appliances.

The user is able perform the following actions:

  • Through the AppDB Portal:
    • Creation/Registration of a virtual appliance (VA) into the AppDB
    • Creation of VA versions per registered VA

two kinds of VA versions could be created:

           (a) brand new, producing new identifiers or
           (b) an update of the previously published one (keeping the same identifiers and produce new only for the newly inserted images)
    • Publishing a new (unpublished) VA version and hence generating the related imagelist for further being used by the vmcatcher tool.
    • Deleting an unpublished VA version
    • HIde/disable <-> Show/enable from the public, a published VA version and its associated imagelist.
  • Through the vmcaster command line tool:
    • Creation/uploading of VA versions per registered VA
      • if new imagelist identifier is being used, that means the given va version is a brand new one
      • if existed imagelist identifier is being used that means the given va version is an update of the published one
    • Uploading & Publishing immediately a VA version through the command line interface is not available yet, but this function will also be available ASAP.

In addition many stylistic interventions have been made.

On-going work: Now, we are working on the functionality to give the ability to the user to let our system to calculate the sha512 checksums and size of the images, instead of adding them manually (internally we call this process 'metadata integrity check'). This is an optional feature. The user is free to select whether he/she wants to perform an automatic 'integrity check' or put the checksum and size manually, on per image basis. It is obvious that in order our system to be able to perform an automatic 'integrity check', the images should be publicly accessible over http(s). In parallel, we are making internal tests on the system + checking cross-browser compatibility issues. Also, we sent yesterday our contribution for the EGI-newsletter.

Next phase will be focused on:

  • start compiling the necessary documentation, guides & webminars.
  • deal with per VA permissions, thus user will be able to assign specific permissions to the registered people.

(the current situation is: everyone that is listed as a contact point to a given VA, has write/edit permissions to the VA and its versions metadata. Admins, Managers have full control to everything, NGI representatives full control to every VA associated to their country)

CRM

  • Development and enhancement of the user interface, i.e., redirection of user to proper CRM object or list of object on graph click from the Home page
  • Interaction with Karolis for the correction of some institute acronyms

Training Marketplace

Bugs fixed (and their RT number): RT 4400 Scroll bar missing on some displays has been fixed RT 3754 Past events/webinars etc list – displays only showed future events only when browsing. This has been rectified by also having a tab for past events/webinars to allow users to use list interface for seeing all entries (previously it was possible on calendar and map only) RT 5192 Comment has been added into the body of the notification email that EGI receive when a comment is posted, to allow them the option of not having to log into the system to see whether the comment is spam. All comments that aren’t published after one week will be deleted by STFC to save EGI managing SPAM. RT 6050 Project and Research Discipline filters have been added to the WEBINAR advertise form synchronising it with the other categories of materials available on the site (note – location isn’t added as it is not relevant to webinars) RT 4399 pop-ups showing event details display awkwardly in the calendar option – very narrow display causing font to appear too large – this is fixed but resizing the pop-up window, which now looks appropriate

Also, not ticketed – we have been tinkering with the anti-SPAM measures and hopefully there will be much less spam getting through in future

Current technical work:

  • Setting up monitoring of social media shares
  • Adding advanced search options, that are currently available using the gadgets, to the main site. For example, in the gadget a user can search by research discipline but not in the main site, only by keyword.

We expect the Advanced Search option to be ready to go live in a week or so and the social media monitoring very soon too.

Other activity: Claire gave a presentation to the “Project Directors Group” – a grouping of leaders of the UKs e-infrastructure projects – on Tuesday. Present were representatives of two research council. The case was made for UK funding of a training marketplace and it received general support all around (including when we discussed budgets!). So the case is being made strongly for sustained support in the UK and its got the whole community behind it.

SA1

Go to SA1 report

SA2

No report

SA4

TSA4.1 - Management

TSA4.2 - MOOC

bi-weekly reporting

TSA4.3 - Liferay

bi-weekly reporting

TSA4.4 - OCCI for CMF

rOCCI framework

  • still working on bugfixes and other input from the Cloud Plugfest (issues

opened on GitHub)

  • extending test coverage to improve QA

rOCCI-server

  • implemented Rack::Middleware-based hook subsystem (e.g. for auto-creating users, blacklisting, notifications etc.)
  • implemented configuration management based on YAML
  • working on the core of the rOCCI-server and the reference back-end (Boris taking over from Florian)

ToDo for next week

  • continue working on rOCCI-server integration with rOCCI-core and back-ends
  • in parallel, continue extending test coverage on rOCCI framework

Problems

  • Reduced size of the mini-project team, looking for new people (internally, at CESNET)

Delays

  • Expected delay due to reduced size of the mini-project team, approx. one month (== Florian's contribution). We are working hard to minimize the delay (by dropping unnecessary features, re-scheduling and looking for new people).

TSA4.5 - CDMI in CMF

bi-weekly reporting


TSA4.6 - OCCI CompClouds

bi-weekly reporting

TSA4.7 - AppDeployment

Progress:

  • Testing the OCCI extension with the latest OpenStack codebase.
  • Continue testing cloud-init for redhat distros.
  • Continue with the frontend development.

Plans for next week:

  • Finalize the OCCI testing with OS.
  • Continue requirement analysis with new use cases

TSA4.8 - CloudCapabilities

  • working with BioVel guys to get their image working on multiple platforms, we have a base image now (thanks to Roger). It's based on Deb7 and still has ON-specific contextualization. Once we have deb7-compatible packages of cloud-init from Vlastimil, we can fix that. Inside the image, it's still using NFS as a shared filesystem. We recommended installing autofs to make it less painful than static mounts and more flexible/tolerant to network outages.
  • Re-iterated BioVel Data handling: Uploaded data set to object storage at FZJ
  • Contribution to milestone report MS801
  • PeachNote: deployed and evaluated their image. It will require outgoing connections, which need to be allowed in the firewall at least at FZJ
  • Uploaded BNCweb data to object storage
  • Recommendations for CSGF regarding contextualization

Plans for next week:

  • See Biovel above
  • Firewall clearances for PeachNote

TSA4.9 - VAPOR

Progress

  • Developments: completed most if the remaining features related to Resource status indicators and statistical reports:
    • report of all resource supporting the VO,
    • report resources not in proper production,
    • report computing elements with the 444444 issue (number of jobs waiting or running is 444444),
    • report storage elements which publish negative space values.

in addition to look and feel and ergonomic improvements (tooltips, styles, use cookies to remember columns selected by user etc.).

  • Investigation about the GFAL2 API to address VO Data Management features.
  • Started writing the application architecture description.

Plans for next period A few minor issues need to be fixed on pages described above, along with an overall review of the consistency in terms of GUI, styles etc. Developments: start development of the VO Data Management features: dealing with storage elements filling up.

TSA4.10 - CompReports

bi-weekly reporting

TSA4.12 - AllocateFedRes

no report given.

JRA1

Go to JRA1 report

Participants

S. Andreozzi, M. Drescher, C. Gater, T. Ferrari, M. Krakowian, N. O'Neill, D. Scardaci, G. Sipos

ABSENT. P. Solagna: at CHEP

Discussion

The new proposed structure of the AMB is presented. The PY4 and PY5 activities of EGI-InSPIRE are discussed: focus, timeline, budget.