General Project Information
- Leader: John Walsh (TCD, Ireland)
- Mailing List: email@example.com
- Status: Proposed
- Start Date: -
- End Date: start date + 3 months
- Meetings: not yet
GPGPU (General-Purpose computation on Graphics Processing Units) is the use of a GPU (graphics processing unit) as a co-processor to accelerate CPUs for general purpose scientific and engineering computing. The GPU accelerates applications running on the CPU by offloading some of the compute-intensive and time consuming portions of the code. The rest of the application still runs on the CPU. From a user’s perspective, the application runs faster because it is using the massively parallel processing power of the GPU to boost performance. Experiments with the use of GPGPUs for scientific computing are already ongoing within various NGIs, existing and potential EGI user communities. This Virtual Team project aims to collect detailed requirements from existing and new EGI user communities and their support teams about using GPGPU services in the European Grid Infrastructure. The requirements will used by the EGI Operations community (through the OMB), the EGI User Community (through the UCB) and the EGI Technology Community (through the TCB) to define and implement extensions in the EGI e-infrastructure services in order to meet the communities demand for GPGPU computing.
The project aims to produce a list of detailed user requirements for using GPGPU computing services in the European Grid Infrastructure.
- Define survey(s) that could be used by the EGI community to map out the interest of existing and potential new user communities for GPGPU computing in EGI.
- Survey user communities directly and/or through their support teams from NGIs, VOs, projects.
- Analyse and normalise the collected requirements, request clarifications where needed.
- Submit the detailed requirements to the EGI Operations community, the EGI User Community and the EGI Technology Community.
If needed the project can involve these communities at any stage through the regular OBM, UCB and TCB meetings.
- Ireland (Leader)
- John Walsh (TCD)
- Emanouil Atanassov (IICT-BAS)
- Todor Gurov (IICT-BAS)
- Aneta Karaivanova (IICT-BAS)
- Oleksandr Savytskyi (IMBG of NAS of Ukraine)
- Miguel Cárdenas-Montes (CIEMAT)
- Pablo Briongos Rabadán (CSIC)
- Andrea Sartirana (CNRS)
- Sophie Ferry (CEA)
- Pierrick MICOUT (CEA)
- Jan Just Keijser (FOM)
- Karolis Eigelis (EGI.eu, Netherlands)
- Nuno Ferreira (EGI.eu, Netherlands)
- Gergely Sipos (EGI.eu, Netherlands)
- T. Ferrari (EGI.eu, Netherlands)
For subscription email to John.Walsh@cs.tcd.ie and Karolis.Eigelis@egi.eu !
The project is looking for representatives of scientific communities and of NGIs who are interested in participating in the requirement gathering and normalisation tasks. Members of NGI, VRC, VO and project specific User Support Teams are encouraged to join the project.
- Total PM = 3 Months
- PM 1 Draft User Survey
- PM 2 Release Survey - Feedback Time 4-6 Weeks)
- PM 3 Extract User Requirements - Feedback to OMB.
*June 7, 14:00CET EVO phone meeting (EVO phone conference details:
- Introduction & review of the scope of the Virtual Team,
- Review of the timelines as indicated in the wiki
- User Survey general discussion. Format of Survey & topic headings and questions
- Use Case gathering
- Task assignment - who is volunteering to doing what?
List of attendees:
Jan Just Keijser