General Project Information
- Leader: Pavel Fibich, CESNET, Czech Republic (NGI_CZ)
- Mailing List: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indico page (slides and minutes from meetings)
- Schedule of national presentations (Doodle)
- Status: approved
- Start Date: 1/10/2012
- Duration: 6 months initial phase, report at EGI CF 2013
- Meetings (plan):
- 17-21 September 2012: Informal meeting(s) at EGI Technical Forum 2012: Gathering initial ideas on coordinated approach, starting to build ELIXIR-related social network.
- First official phone conference in the second half of October. Introductory teleconference meeting of by-that-time-known ELIXIR-related people within EGI: Setting out basic objectives, agreement on coordinated approach to ELIXIR, gathering more contacts.
- October-March: Regular phone conferences (weekly at the beginning): Discussing details, tuning/harmonizing joint approach proposal, resolving particular issues. Further expansion of the social network.
- November-February: Meetings with presentations on technical/organizational approaches to ELIXIR in detail in individual countries given by respective NGIs (or ELIXIR) delegates. Mutual exchange of experience.
- End of March: Final meeting: Finalizing joint approach proposal. Report.
- April 2013: ELIXIR VT presentation at EGI CF 2013, discussion about next phase of the interaction.
- Other information (presentations from EGI TF 2012)
ELIXIR is an emerging pan-European infrastructure for life science research support, in particular aimed for handling biological information. Due to new technologies in life sciences, the rate of production of biological data is intensely increasing. The collection, curation, storage, archiving, integration and deployment of large amounts of biomolecular data is a challenge that cannot be handled by a single organisation or by one country alone, but requires international coordination.
In the Czech Republic, universities and institutions that create or handle life sciences data are gathering together with institutions that provide IT support (especially the Czech node of EGI) to form a Czech node of ELIXIR called ELIXIR_CZ. All of these member institutions have declared their in-kind contributions statements (both in terms of working time commitments and hardware/software/data resources) and their willingness to cooperate on the country-wide level. Naturally, the mission of ELIXIR_CZ is also the implementation of ELIXIR standards throughout various life sciences infrastructures.
To our knowledge, in Netherlands, Finland, and possibly other countries, the national nodes of ELIXIR are collaborating or getting integrated with respective national grid infrastructures, too. This NGI-ELIXIR interaction could benefit coordination at the EGI level, sharing information and experience gained in individual countries and helping EGI to prepare a concise and acceptable approach towards ELIXIR. We believe this bottom up collaboration is an excellent complement to the already started collaboration at the EGI and ELIXIR HQ level.
- An established social network of ELIXIR-related people within individual NGIs (ELIXIR liaisons in NGIs). This network can serve as a basis for international collaboration at both technical and organizational levels between ELIXIR and EGI.
- Proposal on coordinated approach for EGI to collaborate with and support ELIXIR.
- Collect and analyze the current situation of NGI collaboration with ELIXIR representatives.
- Put together (create a virtual/social network) of people from NGIs who are working with or are interested in working with ELIXIR, esp. at the national level.
- Collect, exchange and document experiences and ideas about how NGIs/EGI could support ELIXIR. The document would help the EGI community to perform coordinated action with ELIXIR partners to define and facilitate the setup of the ELIXIR infrastructure.
- Czech Republic
- Pavel Fibich (NGI_CZ)
- Mirek Ruda (NGI_CZ)
- Michal Jaros (CERIT-SC)
- Ivana Krenkova (NGI_CZ)
- Ludek Matyska (NGI_CZ)
- Jiri Vondrasek (Institute of Microbiology, ELIXIR_CZ)
- Jiri Vohradsky and Jan Paces (Institute of Molecular Genetics, ELIXIR_CZ)
- Other countries (Call for participation issued, deadline October 15)
- Hrachya Astsatryan (Armenian NGI)
- Burcu Ortakaya (Turkey)
- David Wallom (OXFORD, UK)
- Andrew Lyall (UK)
- Kalle Happonen (CSC FI)
- Pekka Lehtovuori (CSC FI)
- Tommi Nyronen (CSC FI)
- Irene Nooren (UvA / eBioGrid)
- Tom Visser (SARA NL)
- Coen Schrijvers (SARA NL)
- Mariusz Sterzel (CYFRONET PL)
- Ignacio Blanquer (UPVLC Spain)
- Tiphaine Martin (FR)
- Daniele Cesini (ITA)
- George Lamprinidis (Faculty of Pharmacy Athens-Greece)
- Anders Waananen (DK)
- Gergely Sipos
- Richard McLennan
We are looking initially for people with existing contacts to ELIXIR at national level. Please express interest in working in this VT through e-mail to email@example.com
Table of Participation
The following table provides details of nations that are members of the ELIXIR project and of the EGI ELIXIR VT project. The table has been compiled from data that is published via the ELIXIR website.
Note 1: see the ELIXIR Business Case (Web information valid on 1 Nov 2012).
Note 2: see the ELIXIR MoU signatories (Web information valid on 1 Nov 2012).
|Nation||ELIXIR Node Exp of Interest (business case info)(Note 1)||ELIXIR MOU (website info)(Note 2)||VT ELIXIR Members||meeting 31 Oct 12 participation|
|European Patent Office||Yes|
|European Clinical Research Infrastructures Network(ECRIN)||Yes|
Topics for local presentations
- Local ELIXIR organization model
- Which institutions are involved?
- What activities/projects are ongoing (you are aware of)?
- Interaction between ELIXIR and NGI (or other e-infrastructures like NRENs)
- Are there any formal or informal contacts?
- Is there any actual collaboration ongoing with ELIXIR or part of its community?
- Any issues, comment on the interaction between ELIXIR and NGI?
- Anything else (relevant)