VO Admin Dashboard
|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|Documentation menu:||Home •||Manuals •||Procedures •||Training •||Other •||Contact ►||For:||VO managers •||Administrators|
The VO Admin Dashboard is a tool developed by LIP under the TNA3.4 EGI global task - VO Services.
The aim of the tool is to provide to VO Administrators a dashboard which aggregates VO views from different (EGI and non EGI) applications, allowing them to easily navigate between different sources of information and correlate events. It provides a quick and easy way for VO Administrators to identify problems and have direct access to applications for a better analysis of statistics, performance issues or misconfiguration.
The tool was designed to be highly configurable so that VO administrators can customize the offered views according to their own needs, or even add additional VO specific sources on demand.
VO Admin Dashboard User Guide
This guide will provide the guidelines for VO Administrators to access, use and customize the VO Admin Dashboard.
Accessing the tool
The tool is accessible through the following web link: https://vodashboard.lip.pt/.
The main Web interface is showed in the next figure where the following functionalities are highlighted:
- the combo box where visitors can select the appropriated VO (1);
- a main menu with the list of applications available through the VO Admin Dashboard (2):
- EGI Operations Portal
- Accounting Portal
- EGI Application Database
- Central myEGI
- VO VOMS server
- EGI RT
- General information: version, contacts and credits (3)
- User DN information (4)
Once a VO is selected from the combo box, relevant general information about the VO is automatically displayed, such as:
- Name: the name of the VO
- Status: the status of the VO as presently provided by the EGI Operations Portal
- Validation Date: the date when the VO was validated (if available)
- Scope: the scope of the VO (regional, national or global)
- Middleware: the preferred type of VO middleware
- Enrollment: Enrolment link or usefull information for users
- Homepage: VO homepage link
- VOMS: Link for the VO VOMS server
- Description: VO goals and objectives
Simultaneously, the default applications profile is loaded and the default applications views are presented to the visitor (please check the The default profile section)
The default profile
After the general information board, a default set of views for a predefined set of applications is presented. The main idea would be that each VO Administrator customizes their own profile through a management panel, include their own applications and services, or their preferred views of a given applications. For details please check the VO customizations section.
The present profile applied by default to all VOs includes:
- The Number of Jobs, Norm. Sum CPU and Norm. Sum Elapsed views computed from the EGI Accounting Portal data;
- The VO Overview, VO Grid Jobs Overview, VO Online storage and VO nearline storage views provided by GSTAT
As an example, the following figure shows the offered VO view for GSTAT.
For each application view, two icons are displayed in the right bottom corner:
- The first icon (house) will open the original application link under a different web page tab.
- The second icon (plus signal) will open all the application views available through the VO Admin Dashboard. To exemplify this functionality, the figure bellow shows all the available views collected from GSTAT and offered in the VO Admin Dashboard in the form of multiple tabs.
From the main menu, showed on the top right corner of the VO Admin Dashboard web interface, a visitor can choose other applications not included in the default profile. The views displayed by each individual application may be customized by the VO Administrator. For further details, please consult the following section: How to customize views for applications.
The full list of applications available through the VO Admin Dashboard main menu is:
- EGI Operations Portal and VO related information
- EGI Accounting portal VO related information
- EGI Helpdesk portal (GGUS) and the VO related tickets
- GOCDB read and write portals
- GSTAT portal and VO related information
- EGI Application Database and the VO related applications
- The central MyEGI instance
- The VO VOMS-Admin interface
- EGI RT and EGI RT VO requirements
The visitor can then select any of those applications from the main menu, and access all the VO views offered for that application. As an example, we present the GGUS views and the VOMS Web Admin view.
All visitors can access their DN information through the top-right user information icon.
However, VO Administrators should be recognized automatically if they login via certificate. In this case, a management interface will be available in the Web interface main menu to allow VO customizations.
Through this management panel VO Administrators will be able to perform the following actions:
- Customize the VO profile views (permissions, VO views in the main page, etc...)
- Extend the VO Admin dashboard with views of custom VO services. This feature allows VO Managers to integrate external tools into the VO Admin Dashboard. Such tools can provide additional information to VO managers and users.
The Admin web page
The Admin web page is divided in 3 sections:
- Main Page: The applications displayed in the main page, and theirs corresponding views (2);
- Source Pages: The full list of general applications, and their views (3);
- VO Sources: VO specific applications inserted by the VO administrator (4).
How to customize the VO main page
VO Administrators are allowed to select which applications and views would they like to be presented in the VO Main Page. This implies changes to the default profile defined for each VO which can be achieved through the Admin Web page.
Inside the Admin Web page, and on the top of the Main Page section, there is the tool icon () which allows the VO Administrator to access a web form. Once inside the web form, the VO Administrator may:
- Select NO to remove a given application view from the VO Admin Dashboard Main Page;
- Select YES to display a given application view from the VO Admin Dashboard Main Page;
- Hit Update View
How to customize views for applications
VO Administrators also have the possibility to select the views they would like to see for applications not included in the default main page, and accessible through the main menu (see the The main menu section).
Inside the Admin Web page, and on the Sources Pages section, each applications presents the list of displayed views. Also, under each application there is a tool icon () which allows the VO Administrator to access the application web form. Once inside the web form, the VO Administrator may:
- Select NO to remove a given view from the application display;
- Select YES to display a given application view;
- Hit Update View
How to insert a new application
VO Administrators have the possibility to introduce their own applications and views.
Inside the Admin Web page, on the Main Page section, there is a top right icon () that VO Administrator can use to enter in the Application Form (check the icons referred as 1) in the Admin_Web_page figure). Once inside the Application Form, the VO Administrator may:
- provide a generic name for the new application;
- fill the application description;
- introduce the application url;
- upload two application figures: One logo (jpeg file => 200px X 80 px) and one logo icon (png file => 32px X 32px) to be displayed in the main menu;
- Hit Insert Application.
All new applications will be pending for validation of the VO Admin Dashboard Administrators.
Once an application is inserted, the VO administator is redirected to the application Manage View. Through the Manage View, the VO Administrator may:
- provide a label for the new application view (1);
- provide the (http or https) application view URL (1);
- Select NO to remove an already existing view from the application display (2);
- Select YES to display an already existing application view (2);
- Delete an already existing application view (3);
- Hit Update View.
VO Admin Dashboard Administration Guide
The architecture of the platform is based on two main components:
- a MySQL database
- a web interface.
The dataflow of the tool consists on the following steps:
- The specific VO information is collected on a daily basis through the download of a XML file offered at the EGI Operations Portal containing relevant VO information;
- The information is then parsed and inserted in the MySQL database on dedicated tables;
- The applications information which should be available to all VOs is inserted manually by the platform administrators;
- The information is then displayed under the proper format through the web interface.
- The VO Administrator has the possibility to customize a dedicated view for his VO, through an Admin interface which allows to change application information directly in the MySQL backend.
Future work will be focused on
- Developing a gadget for the VO Admin Dashboard;
- Implementing a cache and refreshing mechanism for the information which does not change on the fly (in progress);
- The majority of the applications accessible via the VO Admin Dashboard offers their certificate. If the application certificate is not already stored in the visitor web browswer, the visitor will have to accept those certificates through the VO Admin Dashboard web interface.
Support on the use of the VO Admin Dashboard can be obtained through the VO Services Support Unit in GGUS.
Main Developer: Hugo Gomes (hugo_at_lip.pt)
Consultancy, support and development: Gonçalo Borges (goncalo_at_lip.pt), Jorge Gomes (jorge_at_lip.pt), Joao Pina (jpina_at_lip.pt)