- Status: planned, active, completed
- Start Date: DD/MM/YY
- End Date: DD/MM/YY
- EGI.eu contact: email@example.com
- External contact: contact@something
Short description of the FedCloud Use Case.
Use case 1
Using VMs prepared with Gromacs and some other software to run MD simulations for educational purpose, possibly on multi-core VMs.
- Task 1
- Task 2
Use case 2
Validating and improving biomolecular NMR structures using VirtualCing (VCing), a Virtual Machine (VM) equipped with a complex suite of ~25 programs.
A presentation of the current deployment at the Dutch National HPC Cloud is available here, and recently a paper has been published here.
The cloud usage framework is based on a pilot job mechanism making use of the ToPoS tool. Therefore, such a framework would naturally allow for execution of VCing tasks across multiple cloud providers. Do notice that the framework is independent on the cloud access interface: it would work also with simple grid jobs, as far as the user-defined (or VO manager defined) VCing VM is available at the grid site e.g. in a SE (or in the VO software area mounted by the WNs) and the grid job is allowed to start the VM. Technical details about its current implementation are available here.
Furthermore, a live demonstration about the deployment and use of VCing on the WNoDeS testbed of the INFN-CNAF computing centre has been shown at the EGI TF 2012 held in September.
- Here below are the steps carried out to make the VCing image work with the WNoDeS framework for the network and debian/ubuntu:
- modifying the file /etc/network/interfaces as follows:
auto lo iface lo inet loopback auto eth0 allow-hotplug eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp auto eht1 allow-hotplug eth1 iface eth1 inet dhcp
- deleting /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file
- removing the hostaname in the file /etc/hostname
- Operations to be done on the NMR server hosted at CMBI:
- File 1
- File 2