Generalized Operations Policy
As a result of the January 2011 SPG meeting, there is an item to work on a re-write and generalization of the Site Operations Policy document (see https://www.egi.eu/indico/event/263):
Rewrite site operations policy as a general services security policy a. Include service operation security policy (real and virtual) b. Resource, providers, VM managers, etc c. Exclude operations items to be considered by OMB
It will take quite a bit of work to come from the current version (https://documents.egi.eu/document/75) to a new one and address everyone's concerns and issues -- but if we want to get to a set of topics before the User Forum meeting mid-April, we need to start the process. Via this Wiki, I hope we can collect input and support the development of the new policy. Please follow the email@example.com mailing list and discuss changes to this page there (of in a F2F meeting, of course).
At least I would like to get an inventory of issues that we now think need to be addressed in the new policy. To aid the collection process, I think we should start collecting issues and indicating which bits of the current policy we should keep, and which bits should go.
Issues with the current site operations policy
- Item 1
Items that are too specific to sites
- General question: is the intention to remove all reference to Sites / Resource Centres and to focus on operation of services? If so, here are some comments/suggestions. --Ocalladw 13:53, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- To adapt this directly, each service operator would need to register contact details somewhere. This could include, e.g. a VO running a web server on a cloud. Or would the responsibility remain at the hosting resource centre?
- no change
- Mentions "...mislead Users into submitting jobs or transferring data to your Site", so it's quite specific to sites (running grid middleware). This could be re-phrased as "...mislead Users into the suitability of a service for their needs"
- no change
- Mentions "Sites": substitute with "other Resource Centres, Service Operators", etc.
- Mentions "Site": rephrase to refer to "on your resources"
- Mentions "Sites": could probably be removed, as the agreement is with "the Grid" not with "other Sites"
- Replace "to your site" with "to your resources or services"
- no change
- In this, "your access" appears to refer to a site's access to the Grid
- no change
Items that are not policy but procedure
- "9. You shall comply with the Grid operational procedures including the requirement to support at least one VO designated by the Grid for the sole purpose of evaluating the availability of your Grid Services."
Perhaps this could be reduced to the first clause "9. You shall comply with the Grid operational procedures": the rest is a specific procedure related to a specific kind of infrastructure. If we want to preserve the spirit: "9. You shall comply with the Grid operational procedures, including procedures that have the purpose of evaluating the availability of your Grid Services." --Ocalladw 13:14, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
Issues to be considered for a generalized policy
- Align terminology with updated EGI glossary (e.g. "Site") --Ocalladw 13:09, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- Replace the term the Grid with something suitably general. "Grid" suggests a link to current grid middleware and this policy should be usable by infrastructures that are not based on grid middleware. --Ocalladw 13:09, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- Avoid use of the term "VO", which may not have meaning in other infrastructures. I suggest "User Groups" or "Groups". --Ocalladw 13:16, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- Item 1. depends on a specific model for maintaining contacts. --Ocalladw 13:30, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
Current (Site Operations) Text
- You shall provide and maintain, in a central repository provided by the Grid, accurate contact information as specified in the Site Registration Policy, including but not limited to at least one Site Manager and one Site Security Contact who shall respond to enquiries in a timely fashion as defined in the Grid operational procedures.
- You shall comply with the Grid security policies, including any accounting and audit data requirements. You shall periodically assess your compliance with these policies, inform the Grid Security Officer of violations encountered in the assessment, and correct such violations forthwith.
- Before publishing information to the Grid resource information systems you shall make reasonable efforts to ensure that it is correct and up to date. You shall not publish information that could be detrimental to the operation of the Grid or mislead Users into submitting jobs or transferring data to your Site.
- When notified by the Grid of software patches and updates required for security and stability, you shall, as soon as reasonably possible in the circumstances, apply these to your systems. Other patches and updates should be applied following best practice.
- You shall use logged information, including information provided to you by Users, other Sites or by the Grid, for administrative, operational, accounting, monitoring and security purposes only. You shall apply due diligence in maintaining the confidentiality of logged information.
- Your participation in the Grid as a Site shall not create any intellectual property rights in software, information and data provided to your Site or in data generated by your Site in the processing of jobs.
- Provisioning of resources to the Grid is at your own risk. Any software provided by the Grid is provided on an as-is basis only, and subject to its own license conditions. There is no guarantee that any procedure applied by the Grid is correct or sufficient for any particular purpose. The Grid and other Sites are not liable for any loss or damage in connection with your participation in the Grid.
- You may control access by Users and VOs to your site for administrative, operational and security purposes and shall inform the Users or VOs if you limit or suspend their access. You shall comply with the Grid incident response procedures regarding the notification of security incidents and where appropriate, shall restore access as soon as reasonably possible.
- You shall comply with the Grid operational procedures including the requirement to support at least one VO designated by the Grid for the sole purpose of evaluating the availability of your Grid Services.
- The Grid may control your access to the Grid for administrative, operational and security purposes and remove your resource information from resource information systems if you fail to comply with these conditions.
- Disputes resulting from your participation in the Grid will be resolved according to the Grid escalation procedures.