Difference between revisions of "Regional Operator on Duty"
Revision as of 16:21, 12 February 2013
|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|EGI Infrastructure Operations Oversight menu:||Home •||EGI.eu Operations Team •||Regional Operators (ROD)|
ROD team is responsible for solving problems on the infrastructure within own Operations Centre according to agreed procedures. They ensure that problems are properly recorded and progress according to specified time lines. They ensure that necessary information is available to all parties. The team is provided by each Operations Centre and requires procedural knowledge on the process.
The purpose of this page is to collect in one place all materials related to ROD work.
If you are new in this activity please see first page ROD Welcome
People and Contact
The list of people responsible for NGI oversight and contact points can be found in Operations Portal.
To contact with all ROD teams can be used following mailing list where are subscribed all RODs' mailing lists:
- all-operator-on-duty AT mailman.egi.eu
The Regional Operations team is responsible for detecting problems, coordinating the diagnosis, and monitoring the problems through to a resolution. It monitors sites in their region, and react to problems identified by the monitors, either
directly or indirectly, provide support to sites as needed, add to the knowledge base, and provide informational flow to oversight bodies in cases of non-reactive or non-responsive sites. ROD is a team responsible for solving problems on the infrastructure according to agreed procedures. They ensure that problems are properly recorded and progress according to specified time lines. They ensure that necessary information is available to all parties. The team is provided by each ROC and requires procedural knowledge on the process (rather than technical skills) for their work.
All duties listed are mandatory for ROD team:
- Handling incidents - The main responsibility of ROD is to deal with incidents at sites in the region. This includes making sure that the tickets are opened and handled properly. The procedure for handling tickets is described in PROC01_Grid_Oversight_escalation
- Propagate actions from COD down to sites - ROD is responsible for ensuring that decisions taken on the COD level are propagated to sites.
- Putting a site in downtime or suspend for urgent matters - In general, ROD can place a site in downtime (in the GOCDB) if it is either requested by the site, or ROD sees an urgent need to put the site into downtime. ROD may also suspend a site, under exceptional circumstances, without going through all the steps of the escalation procedure. For example, if a security hazard occurs, ROD must suspend a site on the spot in the case of such an emergency. It is important to know that COD can also suspend a site in the case of an emergency e.g. security incidents or lack of response.
- Notify COD about core or urgent matters - ROD should create tickets to COD in the case of core or urgent matters.
Manuals and procedures
In this section are linked manuals and procedures which RODs should be familiar with :
- 1. How to become a ROD member - 7 steps which should be done to become a ROD member
- 2. Operations tools - brief introduction of operations tools which a ROD mamber needs to perform duties
- 3. How to handle alarms - an instruction how to manage alarms on the Operations Portal (ticket creation from an alarm, closing and masking alarms)
- 4. How to handle tickets - an instruction how to manage tickets on the Operations Portal (ticket creation, updating and closing tickets)
- 5. Issues escalated to COD - an introduction of cases which are escalated to COD and how to deal with
- 6. Operations portal tools - a brief introduction of the Operations Portal tools
A ROD Newsletter is periodically released since December 2010 to consolidate the Grid oversight teams (central and local ones). The purpose of this newsletter is to inform about recent and upcoming developments related to Grid Oversight and to show the support performance indicators during the month. It is issued every month and the information about new releases is sent to all RODs mailing list and to NGI managers.
The newsletters may be found at: https://documents.egi.eu/public/ShowDocument?docid=298
This section is created to collect all ROD presentations which took place on our f2f meetings.
Technical Forum 2012
Technical Forum 2011
User Forum 2011
EGI technical Forum 2010
ROD teams workshop Jun 2010