How to access the EGI Applications on Demand (AoD) service throug the EGI Marketplace
|Applications on Demand Service menu:||Home •||Documentation for providers •||Documentation for developers •||Architecture|
Starting from Sept. 2017 the EGI Applications on Demand (AoD) service is one of the EGI services publicly available in the EGI Marketplace.
The EGI Marketplace is the entry point for researchers to discover and access the advanced computing services and tools they need for their work. All services available in this Marketplace are provided by the EGI Federation and partner institutions.
The complete workflow used to describe how users can navigate the EGI Marketplace and submit a new service order eligible for the EGI Applications on Demand (AoD) service, and operators can manage these orders is described in Figure 1:
How to request an applications in the EGI AoDs
In this section is described the workflow to access the EGI Marketplace and create and submit an order to request access to applications available in the EGI Applications on Demand service.
For the User’s perspective, the workflow consists in the following steps:
- Login to the EGI Marketplace.
- Two options are allowed: the User can access with his/personal academic credentials or use the EGI Single Sign On account as shown in Figure.
- During the first login, the User has to register and create an account. During this step, some User’s information are retrieved automatically by the EGI AAI Check-In service, while other attributes are manually provided by the User through the web form.
- When the profile has been created, the User can start to navigate the Marketplace menu and select the services of interest. As we mentioned before, in this document we will focus more on the EGI Applications on Demand (AoD) service. From the top-menu, the User selects the service category: “Applications” to be automatically redirected to the Applications service page as shown in Figure:
- From the Applications service page, the User selects the subcategory: “Applications on Demand” to get access to the full list of applications supported by the Service. For each application, a short description and a list of options are available. An example of application supported by the Service is shown in Figure.
- From this sub-menu, the User can request access to one or more applications just clicking in the “Request Access” button. Each authenticated and authorized User is offered a grant, providing a pre-defined quota of resources, which can be used to run application(s) of choice. The grant to run applications can be renewed upon request.
- Click on “Add to Cart” button to add the select application(s) in the shopping cart.
- When the application(s) is(are) in the shopping cart the User can click on the “Proceed to checkout” button to submit the order, or on the “Continue shopping” button if he/she wants to add more applications to the cart.
- The Shopping-cart summary shows the list of applications the User requested access.
- To proceed with the service order, the User is asked to provide some additional information for profiling the order. These additional information can be provided with a dedicated web form.
- Clicking on the “Checkout” button the order will be submitted and the User will be notified by e-mail.
- Anytime the User can check the status of his/her orders through the user dashboard. This dashboard shown, in a table-view, the history of service order(s) submitted by the User since his/her account has been created. For each service order, some generic information are provided. More additional details can be obtained clicking on the “Details” button.
In three working days, the service orders will be processed by the EGI User Support operators and the User will be informed via e-mail about the outcome of this evaluation.
After your request is approved, login to the gateway/portal environment that hosts the application you would like to use. If you are a developer you can also integrate custom applications with the compute and storage resources you are granted access to.