HOWTO18 How to use the Catania Science Gateway Framework as Application Broker
|Main||Roadmap and Innovation||Technology||For Users||For Resource Providers||Media|
The Catania Science Gateway Framework (CSGF) has been developed by INFN, Division of Catania (Italy), to provide application developers with a tool to create Science Gateways (SGs) in short time and in a very easy way. CSGF is made of a set of libraries to manage Authentication & Authorization mechanisms and to interact with several different kinds of DCIs (grid, cloud, HPC, local, etc.). The CSGF is fully compliant to the EGI.eu VO portal policy.
The CSGF allows users to execute applications on the EGI Federated Cloud through web portals/SGs. The Science Gateways based on CSGF provide users with intuitive web interface to execute applications on the Cloud as jobs and to manage these jobs during their running (check the status and download the output). The SGs takes care of starting the VMs on the EGI Federated Cloud, transfer the needed files (e.g. executable, input files, etc.), stop the VMs and download the output in behalf of the user.
A list of Science Gateways based on the CSGF is available here.
The EGI Federated Cloud users can exploit the CSGF features to:
- Execute applications already integrated in one of the existing Science Gateways
- Add their applications in one of the existing Science Gateways
- Deploy a new Science Gateway
In the following sections are available step by step instructions for the users.
Execute applications already integrated in a Science Gateway
The list of all the applications available in the CSGF based Science Gateways is available in the CHAIN-REDS Application Database. The CHAIN-REDS application database gives you the direct link to the application run pages. Otherwise you can decide to directly visit one of the Science Gateway of this list.
Once you identified the applications you would like to execute you have to follow the following steps:
- Click on the "Sign In" link in the main page of the chosen Science Gateway
- Select your identity providers and login on the Science Gateway using your standard credential. EGI.eu SSO is available as identity providers. If you don't find any identity provider suitable for you, you can use the catch-all one: IDOPEN GARR. See the below image for a subset of the identity providers supported by the CGF
- If this is the first time you are logging in the selected Science Gateway, you'll be redirect to the Science Gateway registration page. Fill in the form and submit it.
- Your registration request will be sent to the Science Gateway administrator. He will evaluate your request and accept or reject it. You will be notified by e-mail at the end of the process. This is a manual process, then you could wait for 1-2 working days until your request will be evaluted.
- After your registration is accepted, you can login again on the Science Gateway following the same procedure above described. Now you are an authorised user and you are able to access the run pages of the applications integrated in the Science Gateway
- Select the application you are willing to execute and go to the run page
- Fill in the form showed in the run page with your input parameters and click on the run button
- Now your application is running. You can monitor it (checking the status, run, done, etc.) accessing the My Workspace web page page of the Science Gateway.
- When your application execution is completed, you can download the output accessing the My Workspace web page page.
Add your application to a Science Gateway
To add your application to one of the existing SGs based on the CSGF, you have to develop a Java portlet according to the JSR 286 specification. The CSGF provides portlet developers with a library, the Catania Grid & Cloud engine, exposing all the methods needed to interact with the EGI Federated Cloud and, in general, with the EGI e-infrastructure. Catania Grid & Cloud engine documentation is available here.