Virtual sites are a mechanism to arbitrarily group service endpoints together. The service endpoints themselves will still belong to (non-virtual) sites. This feature has originally been requested at https://rt.egi.eu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=987.
A service endpoint may belong to many virtual sites and a virtual site may have many child service endpoints. The existing cardinality between (non-virtual) sites and service endpoints remains: a service endpoint may only have one parent (non-virtual) site.
Virtual Site Entity
A virtual site is a new GOCDB entity containing the following information:
- Contact E-Mail
- Monitored flag (Y/N)
- Child service endpoints
- Roles held over the virtual site
We will introduce two new PI queries containing virtual site information:
- vsitename - Only return info for a specific virtual site
- scope - Only return virtual sites that are (In)visible to EGI
Example Output: XML
- dn - Limit results to user with given certificate DN
Example output: XML
When a user creates a virtual site they will be granted the role "Virtual Site Administrator" over the site. Other users will be able to request a "Virtual Site Administrator" role over the virtual site and the administrator will be able to accept or reject these requests as they see fit using the standard role management mechanism.
The following changes will be made to support virtual sites in the user interface:
- "Add Virtual Site" link added to the left hand menu bar
- "View Virtual Sites" link added to the left hand menu bar
- When a user views a virtual site they will the properties listed in "Virtual Site Entity" above
A virtual site cannot hold a service endpoint that doesn't have a parent site.