Fedcloud-tf:Blueprint EGI Federated Clouds
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Six scenarios for minimal functionality
Scenario 1: Running a pre-defined VM Image
Following need to be considered with this scenario
- Trust level and Auditing of the VM (since it has to run as Root access)
- Different VMs needed based on underlying Infrastructure such as 64 vs 32bits Or VT enabled plus Xen vs KVM
- Contextualization i.e. how users should login to this vm , how his public key transfer and active to login as root to this vm
- Which libraries/versions/compilers will be installed by defaults?
From a user perspective (WeNMR contribution) we would like to:
- Be able to install software on the pre-defined VM images (under the user account)
- Be able to save those images (at least for a pre-defined time) (i.e. no new installation each time we wish to use the image)
Scenario 2: Running my data and VM in the Infrastructure
WeNMR use cases
- Using VMs prepared with Gromacs and some other software to run MD simulations for educational purpose, possibly on multi-core VMs.
- Validating biomolecular NMR structures using VirtualCing, a VMware VM equipped with a complex suite of ~25 programs. A presentation of the current deployment at the Dutch National HPC Cloud is available here. The cloud usage framework is based on a pilot job mechanims making use of the ToPoS tool. Therefore, such a framework would naturally allow for execution of VirtualCing tasks across multiple cloud providers. Do notice that the framework is independent on the cloud access interface: it would work also with simple grid jobs, as far as the user-defined (or VO manager defined) VirtualCing VM is available at the grid site e.g. in a SE (or in the VO software area mounted by the WNs) and the grid job is allowed to start the VM. Technical details about its current implementation are available here.
Scenario 3: Integrating multiple resource providers
Scenario 4: Accounting across Resource Providers
Scenario 5: Reliability/Availability of Resource Providers
Scenario 6: VM/Resource state change notification
- http://go.egi.eu/435: Draft of Federated Clouds profile
- http://go.egi.eu/803: Task Force presentations at the EGI Technical Forum 211, Lyon
--Michel 14:40, 26 September 2011 (UTC)