- Status: active
- Start Date: 26/02/2014
- End Date: -
- EGI.eu contact: Diego Scardaci / email@example.com
- External contact: Daniele D'Agostino / firstname.lastname@example.org, Giacomo Paschina / email@example.com
Forecasting severe storms and floods is a key topic in HMR. Storms do not respect country boundaries so a pan-European approach to data access and modeling is necessary. The analysis carried out within the FLASH project estimated over 29 billion euros the material damages produced by floods in the Mediterranean region during the 1990-2006 period. The total number of casualties has been estimated over 4,500,
concentrating in the Mediterranean African countries especially. These data challenge our current scientific understanding and call for focused and joint Hydro-Meteorological and ICT research to:
- understand, explain and predict the physical processes producing such extreme storms;
- understand the possible intensification of such events in the Mediterranean region and their physical origin;
- explore the potential available ICT infrastructures to provide deeper understanding of those events through fine resolution modeling over large areal extents.
These are the main DRHIM objectives.
- Use Case: : running various hydrological models in the EGI Federated Cloud. Almost all these models need a Windows environment to be executed.
Requirements: - 1 VM, 1 cores and 4/8GB of RAM. Few GB of storage. - Windows OS.