EGI Quality Criteria Release 2
|Technology||Software Component Delivery||Software Provisioning||UMD Middleware||Cloud Middleware Distribution||Containers Distribution||Technology Glossary|
|Quality Assurance |||Quality Criteria Definition |||Quality Criteria Dissemination |||Quality Criteria Verification |||Verifier Guideline |||Verification Testbed |||Glossary|
These release notes describe the first release of the Quality Criteria for UMD software that is expected to be delivered in early August 2011.
The documents can be found at DocDB #364, current status is DRAFT.
Several changes have been introduced in the documents, the most relevant ones are:
- New template more compact and with uniform formatting of fields.
- New capabilities covered: Messaging, Client API, Interactive Job, Remote Instrumentation
- Clarification of criteria especially on criterion applicability and pass/fail description.
- Merge similar criteria into more complete ones (See Compute Capability Criteria).
The Quality Criteria (QC) can be found in the DocDB #364, there is one document for each type of capability:
- Generic QC, for all software
- Security Capabilities QC
- Information Capabilities QC
- Storage Capabilities QC
- Data Capabilities QC
- Compute Capabilities QC
- Operations Capabilities QC
Take into account that a software product may cover QC specified in more than one of those documents.
From all capabilities identified in version 2 of UMD Roadmap, the following are covered:
- Attribute Authority (using VOMS as reference implementation)
- Authorization (using Argus as reference implementation)
- Credential Management (using MyProxy as reference implementation)
- Information Model
- Information Discovery
- File Encryption/Decryption (using Hydra as reference implementation)
- File Access
- File Transfer
- File Transfer Scheduling (using FTS as reference implementation)
- Storage Management
- Data Access (using OGSA-DAI as reference implementation)
- Metadata Catalogue (using AMGA and LFC as reference implementations)
- Job Execution
- Parallel Job
- Interactive Job Management
- Job Scheduling (using WMS as reference implementation)
Client API Capability
- Client API
- Remote Instrumentation
- Accounting (using APEL as reference implementation)
Non Covered Capabilities
Some capabilities identified in the UMD Roadmap are still missing the Quality Criteria due to lack of a clear reference implementation or missing requirements from the EGI community. Most of the missing capabilities are introduced in the last UMD roadmap version.
- Virtual Machine Management
- Virtual Machine Image Format
- Image Distribution
The Quality Criteria Task will continue the process of defining the missing capabilities for the next releases of the QC.
- Requirements from User Community
- No new requirements from user community
- Requirements from Operations Community (especially software incidents found in production)
- No incidents found in operations (no previous releases of UMD)
- Review of monitoring probes (MON_PROBE_*)
- Deficiencies in criteria found in Verification or Stage Rollout
- Update in GENERIC_REL_5, GENERIC_REL_4
- Recommendations and issues found by the Software Vulnerability Group
- New criteria: GENERIC_SEC_2, JOBSCH_WMS_SEC_1
- Analysis of reference implementations of UMD Capabilities defined in the Roadmap:
- New capabilities covered: Messaging (MSG_*), Client API (CLIENT_*), Remote Instrumentation (INSTRUMENT_*) & Interactive Job Management (INTERACTIVE_*)
- Review of existing criteria: AUTHZ_PDP_1, METADATA_LFC_FUNC_5,
- Review and analysis of feedback from Technology Providers
- Clarification and removing ambiguous descriptions of criteria (several criteria affected): GENERIC_DOC_*, AUTHN_IFACE_*, INFOMODEL_SCHEMA_1, ...
- IGE: new criteria GENERIC_REL_6, GENERIC_REL_7, GENERIC_SERVICE_4. Update of GENERIC_DOC_5. Update of AUTHN_IFACE_1.
- EMI: new template, better description of compute criteria JOBEXEC_*, JOBSCH_*, PARALLEL_*. Review of scalability/reliability criteria.