EGI Quality Criteria Release 2
|Technology||Software Component Delivery||Software Provisioning||UMD Middleware||Cloud Middleware Distribution||Containers Distribution||Technology Glossary|
|Quality Assurance |||Quality Criteria Definition |||Quality Criteria Dissemination |||Quality Criteria Verification |||Verifier Guideline |||Verification Testbed |||Glossary|
These release notes describe the second release of the Quality Criteria for UMD software delivered in early August 2011.
The documents can be found at DocDB #364, current status is FINAL.
Several changes have been introduced in the documents, the most relevant ones are:
- New (more compact) template and with uniform formatting of fields.
- New capabilities covered: Messaging, Client API, Interactive Job, Remote Instrumentation
- Clarification of criteria especially on criterion applicability and pass/fail description.
- Merge similar criteria into more complete ones (See especially Compute Capabilities Criteria).
The Quality Criteria (QC) can be found in the DocDB #364, there is one document for each type of capability:
- Generic QC, for all software
- Security Capabilities QC
- Information Capabilities QC
- Storage Capabilities QC
- Data Capabilities QC
- Compute Capabilities QC
- Operations Capabilities QC
Take into account that a software product may cover QC specified in more than one of those documents.
From all capabilities identified in version 2 of UMD Roadmap, the following are covered:
- Attribute Authority (using VOMS as reference implementation)
- Authorization (using Argus as reference implementation)
- Credential Management (using MyProxy as reference implementation)
- Information Model
- Information Discovery
- File Encryption/Decryption (using Hydra as reference implementation)
- File Access
- File Transfer
- File Transfer Scheduling (using FTS as reference implementation)
- Storage Management
- Data Access (using OGSA-DAI as reference implementation)
- Metadata Catalogue (using AMGA and LFC as reference implementations)
- Job Execution
- Parallel Job
- Interactive Job Management
- Job Scheduling (using WMS as reference implementation)
Client API Capability
- Client API
- Remote Instrumentation
- Accounting (using APEL as reference implementation)
Non Covered Capabilities
Some capabilities identified in the UMD Roadmap are still missing the Quality Criteria due to lack of a clear reference implementation or missing requirements from the EGI community. Most of the missing capabilities are introduced in the last UMD roadmap version.
- Virtual Machine Management
- Virtual Machine Image Format
- Image Distribution
The Quality Criteria Task will continue the process of defining the missing capabilities for the next releases of the QC.
- Requirements from User Community
- WMS Stability and Perfomance: JOBSCH_SERVICE_3, JOBSCH_SERVICE_4
- #1385: INTERACTIVE_JOB_3
- #1386: FILEACC_API_1
- Requirements from Operations Community (especially software incidents found in production)
- No incidents found in operations (no previous releases of UMD)
- Review of monitoring probes (MON_PROBE_*)
- #1357: GENERIC_REL_4
- #2274: GENERIC_SERVICE_1
- Deficiencies in criteria found in Verification or Stage Rollout
- Update in GENERIC_REL_5, GENERIC_REL_4
- Removal of JOBSCH_WMS_API_2
- Recommendations and issues found by the Software Vulnerability Group
- New criteria: GENERIC_SEC_2, JOBSCH_WMS_SEC_1
- Analysis of reference implementations of UMD Capabilities defined in the Roadmap:
- New capabilities covered: Messaging (MSG_*), Client API (CLIENT_*), Remote Instrumentation (INSTRUMENT_*) & Interactive Job Management (INTERACTIVE_*)
- Review of existing criteria: AUTHZ_PDP_1, METADATA_LFC_FUNC_5
- Review and analysis of feedback from Technology Providers
- Clarification and removing ambiguous descriptions of criteria (several criteria affected)
- IGE: new criteria GENERIC_REL_6, GENERIC_REL_7, GENERIC_SERVICE_4. Update of GENERIC_DOC_5. Update of AUTHN_IFACE_1.
- EMI: new template, better description of compute criteria JOBEXEC_*, JOBSCH_*, PARALLEL_*. Review of scalability/reliability criteria. See also EGI_Quality_Criteria_Release_2_EMI_Review with detailed changes taken as part of EMI review of QC documents draft version.