EGI Cloud Middleware Distribution
|CMD menu:||Overview||Products||Process||Release schedule|
CMD (Cloud Middleware Distribution) aims at distributing:
- OpenStack and OpenNebula integration components (not the framework themselves),
- products that are more in general deployed on top of OpenStack/OpenNebula
- other products that enhance the IaaS layer of the federated cloud, even if they’re not directly dependent on OpenStack/OpenNebula
CMD supports OpenStack and OpenNebula, through two different distributions:
- CMD-OS (OpenStack)
- CMD-ONE (OpenNebula)
Components are included as follows:
- OpenStack specific components -> CMD-OS
- OpenNebula specific components -> CMD-ONE
- common cloud components (BDII, SSM, VMCatcher...) -> all CMD-*
Regular grid components will keep going to UMD. At the moment UMD4 is supported, accepting CentOS7 and SL6 packages. Ubuntu is not yet enabled. Products in UMD major releases should have a release cycle that is compatible with the UMD one: major releases are supported with updates for at least 1 year, security for 2 years.
Every CMD major release will stick to a specific OpenStack release or OpenNebula release and handle the respective release cycles. Please have a look at the CMD release schedule for more information.
All the products must be available both as CentOS7 and Ubuntu packages.
Including your products into CMD
In order to include your products in CMD, you need to:
- join UMD Release Team (URT) as a Technology Provider
- add your products to CMD, providing all the needed related information
- start the technical inclusion process, named Software Provisioning Process
Please follow the instructions below to do so.
Join URT as Technology Provider
URT is a coordination group, under the EGI Operations umbrella. The goal of URT is to continue some of the coordination activities carried out by the Europan middleware projects, keep the communications active between product teams and to open a communication channel between the EGI and the middleware developers.
Please check if you are already a member of the URT giving a look at the Technology Provider wiki page. If so, you can skip to the next section.
In order to join as a Technology Provider, or to add a new product to the release, the Technology Provider needs to:
- get an EGI SSO if you don't have one
- send an email to operations at egi.eu, asking to be added to the URT group; in the email, please include the following details:
- Name of the Technology provider
- Products you want to include and to support, with their description
- Name and contact details of the Team Leader
- Other contacts (support email address, web site address, representative at the URT meeting)
The Technology Provider will be added to the Technology Provider wiki page.
Add your products to CMD
For each product to be included in CMD, the Technology Provider is asked to:
- provide a complete Product ID Card, which will be used to contact the Technology Provider in case of requests for information, security related events/issues, proposals, and any other issues
- create GGUS Support Unit to receive and handle incidents (define level of quality of support)
- agree on Technical Provider Underpinning Agreement (TP UA) with EGI.eu, for a single product or for a group of products
For each of the steps above, please ask for help to operations at egi.eu.
Software Provisioning Process
After performing the steps above, your product can be added to CMD releases following the middleware distribution process.
If you need details on the EGI Software Provisioning process, please find them at the following link: https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/EGI_Software_Component_Delivery
If you need information or details on CMD, please write to operations at egi.eu.
Plans and roadmaps
- infrastructure readiness: frontend to be adapted, backend+RT are OK
- Verification: a proposal will be made on how to make it in the CMD context just like we do in UMD, IFCA will provide resources for the OpenStack platform and CESGA for the OpenNebula; wiki to be filled
- Staged-Rollout process: wiki to be filled
- Products https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/EGI_Cloud_Middleware_Distribution_products to be filled
- XMLs to be created
- First release scheduled by end of September 2016