EGI-InSPIRE:Plan 2013 SA1.2
|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
|Inspire reports menu:||Home •||SA1 weekly Reports •||SA1 Task QR Reports •||NGI QR Reports •||NGI QR User support Reports|
Assessment of progress in 2012
Completed Activities and Milestones
Successful ongoing security operational activities, including SVG operations and close collaboration on the MW upgrade campaign.
Specific milestones achieved during 2012 include:
- extension of access Monitor Module of SSC5
- 1 NGI run of SSC5
- further development of security dashboard
- EMI Vulnerability Assessment of VOMS Core
- Security Threat Risk Assessment (as described in D4.4)
- CSIRT face to face meeting
- extension of SSC5 framework (integration of more job-submission methods), improvement of reporting module
- optimization of alerts in security dashboard
- proposal for site-wide security monitoring
- Update of the EGI Software Vulnerability Group/EMI Vulnerability Assessment plan, including status report. (This is for pro-active examination of software to find vulnerabilities that may exist carried out by our collaborators.)
- Ran SSC6
- update of site certification procedure
- SVG face to face meeting
- security training at EGI technical forum
- EMI Vulnerability Assessment of WMS completion started (but delayed by illness)
Milestones not accomplished
- The security vulnerability assessment of WMS and CREAM (started but not completed)
- Improvements to the RTIR ticketing system are still awaited
- The evaluation of SSC6 still to be completed
- nagios: CRL checking on services that have gridftp (CEs/SEs) and checking for known vulnerable file permissions via gridftp
- The revision of the Vulnerability Issue handing procedure was postponed to handle post EMI/IGE handling at the same time
- EGI CSIRT operational procedure for compromised certificates still to be done
- Security monitoring
- New version of Pakiti -- largely maintenance performed; insufficient effort to finish current development version
- docs on site-wide monitoring
Plans for 2013
Cross Security Teams Activities
- MS235 Security Activity within EGI Month 34 Report detailing the non-operational security activity within EGI including SCG, SVG, EUGridPMA and IGTF.
- EGI Security Threat risk assessment - Report on what is being done concerning threats of highest risk value and highest impact value.
- Re-assess security risk assessment - start at end of 2013, to be completed before end of EGI-InSPIRE
- Also we should look at Clouds and implications for the various security groups, what needs to be done. Since in the 6th highest risk threat was clouds - and so many seem to assume all the security problems go away and they can ignore us all.
- Also, obviously virtual environments (Cloud as the buzzword) is getting more and more important. Not sure what this means for our monitoring. At the end we might have to follow the natural route:
- have a policy for Cloud/VMs/etc
- depending on this develop monitoring needed to enforce these policies.
EGI CSIRT Activities
- we still have to submit the DNs of the IRTF members, this is about to change currently, but might be addressed in Q1
- Regular monthly team meetings including 2 F2F meetings
RTIR ticketing system
- Need improvements to RTIR for Security Service Challenges (Q2)
- EGI customisations need to be ported to new releases of RTIR (by EGI IT team) or move away from use of EGI SSO
- Regular weekly IRTF meetings
- How we deal with loss of active members - build a sustainable future.
Daily security operations
- A very important part of the CSIRT work
- Via the Security Officer on Duty rota, carry out all agreed tasks as specified at
- The natural agenda would be to run SSC7 in Q2-3, evaluation/debriefing in Q3
- In addition we should try to get the NGI runs done, say one or two in Q1, more in the following Q n
- Here we rely on RT-IR, I hope that Carlos/John can free up some time to migrate this part.
- SSC6 evaluation is depending on that, we need the RT-IR tickets from SSC6 for the report. This is currently not really accessible.
Security monitoring tools
- SHA2 "campaign", if needed continue to support MW-Upgrade campaigns
- site-wide monitoring - a description of plans produced and delivered to OMB (Q1), technical pilot with a few NGIs implemented and evaluated (Q2-Q4)
- Pakiti release - alpha (Q2), final (Q4). If we don't have resources for more extensive development, the current development release will be frozen and stabilized. The EGI instance will be primarily supported focusing mainly on sufficient support for site-wide monitoring.
- probes - overview the SVG/CSIRT issues/alerts and make sure they're monitored, enable sending notifications (Q2).
- Collaboration with dashboard developers
- Involvement of RODs in handling non-criticial issues (our results start appearing in operational dashboard) (Q?)
- Start providing reports to mgmt/NGIs/sites - providing monthly (?) plots summarizing number of issues detected/handled (Q2)
- Monitoring of our tool with EGI-wide monitoring (Q3)
- We have the TF-CSIRT / FIRST in January in Lisbon (Q1)
- I could think of running it again at GKS and TF (Q2/3)
- Additional Trainings might be possible at other Grid-events.
- Wiki renovation
- EGI CSIRT operational procedure for compromised certificates. (1st quarter)
EGI SVG Activities
- Regular monthly SVG meetings
- SVG session at Technical Forum
Revise and improve Vulnerability Issue handing procedure
- Revise EGI Software Vulnerability Handling procedure for Post EMI/IGE. (Also submitted an abstract to present this at the CF.)
- Poster at CF on how to report a vulnerability or incident (and explain the difference) to be generally useful as well as for the CF. (CSIRT/SVG)
- Further revise Vulnerability issue handling - after a few months using it.
Continue Vulnerability issue handling
- Regular ongoing work
- Completion of WMS vulnerability Assessment (asked Elisa to confirm)
- Start of CREAM vulnerability Assessment (asked Elisa to confirm)
- Report on Status of Vulnerability assessment after the end of EMI - and whether anything further can be done.