Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 08:54, 7 May 2012 by Psolagna (→2.1 Proposal: EGI policy for the usage of TMPDIR variable)
|Main||EGI.eu operations services||Support||Documentation||Tools||Activities||Performance||Technology||Catch-all Services||Resource Allocation||Security|
Detailed agenda: Grid Operations Meeting 16 April 2012 14h00 Amsterdam time
|EVO direct link||Pwd: gridops|
|EVO details||Indico page|
1. Middleware releases and staged rollout
1.1 EMI release status
1.2 Staged Rollout
2. Operational Issues
2.1 Proposal: EGI policy for the usage of TMPDIR variable
Jobs need to know where the scratch space for temporary files is.
- A worker node should provide scratch space as requested by the VO in the VO ID card, and the location must be known to the user's code
- There should be an uniform behavior across the sites
- In a grid job’s environment, the TMPDIR variable must always contains the path to the location that can be used by the job as a scratch area for temporary files
- If the TMPDIR variable is not set, the jobs can consider the current working directory as the assigned scratch area.
- The scratch area should have enough free space to fulfill the VO ID card requirements (if it does not, users should open a GGUS ticket VS the site)
- The current version of the policy does not assume that the scratch areas are shared between worker nodes. This document will be refined to include also this information (the location of a shared area if needed by parallel jobs) in the job’s environment, or a new policy will be released.
- More in general, this policy does not assume that the scratch area has any specific feature, but the disk space.
- If the TMPDIR variable contains an invalid path, this does not mean that the job’s current workdir can be considered the assigned scratch area. This is a configuration error and the users should open a GGUS ticket VS the affected site.